HF 33686 Spindle movement question

That's alot of end mill sticking out of the spindle !

Yeah - I kind of did it for the purpose of making the picture easier to take. It was light cuts on thin stock that I was just squaring up with a roughing end mill. Plus, I am still learning. My biggest gripe at this point is how much of a PITA it is to change speeds on this thing. A VFD upgrade may be in my future....

It didn't happen without pics ! ;) :big grin:
OK - here is the first project I made post-DRO. I clearly have a ways to go in my machining skills! This is an encoder bracket for my Electronic Lead Screw on my little 8x16 lathe. I had a 3D printed mount but it would flex quite a bit when running and would deflect under belt tension. I hogged out most of the material using a bandsaw and milled the rest. I took a bit too much with the bandsaw so there are a few remnants in there but I did not want to make the bracket too thin so I left them there. The bolt circle function worked as desired - which was one of the drivers for installing TouchDRO. I included an image of the aluminum part next to the plastic one it replaced. Works much, much better. FYI - that belt runs to a matching 3D printed pulley that is on the spindle sandwiched between the main nut that sets the bearing preload and the jam nut that goes behind it. As it turns out the Omron encoder is more accurate than the crappy tach that was put on this lathe - a lot more accurate as the other one was off by hundreds of RPM except at zero.

IMG_0410.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0412.jpg

Back