HF 4x6 bandsaw - buyers beware

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
So after considering a stationary yet small bandsaw and not being impressed with a used model on CL I decided to just get a new one. since they are all the same (or so one would think) I decided to go with the least expensive alternative - HF. to be fair, I wasn't excited about this, but given that I knew the risk, I chose to take it for the savings factor.

so picked up this bs at a local store, drove it home and managed to get it into the basement and all assembled. the user manual is pure crap - no way around it. I had to use grizzly's manual to be able to put this one together as the HF manual is clearly of a different model as the instructions call for threaded holes in the casting where there are clearly not, and also does not include any references to some of the parts (like the angled corner support brackets for the base).

Using the grizzly manual I put this thing together. I like the grizzly manuals - very clear and informative. wish I could get the grizzly white version of this saw but it's 2x the cost (and for good reasons I guess). the base is actually surprisingly stable - up until you add the wheels - thats when it loses the stability all together, but still is decent for most small cuts.

the motor started fine, no rubbing of the pulleys against the cover, and while feed spring has a "TING" moment as you lower the saw for a cut to it, all seemed well - or so I thought.

While trying to adjust the blade guide I discovered that the blade guide won't pull out as it should (floor model at the store pulled out smoothly). a bit more force and with some resistance, it eventually came out revealing this:
2012-08-12_14-45-16_30.jpg2012-08-12_14-45-35_974.jpg
it looks like it was even ground at the factory to make it 'fit' (which it still doesn't really) as the grinding marks are perpendicular to the pull direction of the part (in which case if it was "scratched" from pulling it according to it's normal operation, the scratch marks would be length wise and not width wise).

the bolt seems to be off center as well, which might suggest that this part was simply not made right:
2012-08-12_14-51-46_26.jpg

this thing will NOT go in and out freely, and I do not like the idea of having a faulty part on a brand new machine, regardless of who's the supplier. really bums me to have to repack this, drive it to the store and have it replaced, rinse- and repeat the whole process. might have to open the next one at the store to make sure it's ok, but I can't really inspect it all at the store... ugh... buyers beware - Quality Control is definitely low here.

2012-08-12_14-45-16_30.jpg 2012-08-12_14-45-35_974.jpg 2012-08-12_14-51-46_26.jpg

Unfortunately that happens with the low end machines more often than not. I got lucky when I bought my HF saw, it was a pleasant surprise and basically I only had to install a decent blade and do a minor adjustment to the tracking and it has performed very well. Hopefully you'll have better luck with a replacement and I would not hesitate to unpack it at the store and check it out!

Good Luck!

I too recently bought one of these. The first one arrived with heavy impact damage, so I called HF and they emailed me a FedEx label to return it.
The second one arrived after a week with a non-working motor. That turned out to be impact damage too; the motor housing was cracked and the field windings had dropped and shorted out.
Called HF and they sent out another motor, which again took a week to arrive.

The time delay is annoying but I've never had any problem getting things replaced. I ordered a digital caliper and a pair of 150w halogen bulbs turned up instead.
When I called them they just said sorry, we'll get a replacement out right away, which unsurprisingly took a week to arrive, but there was never any question about sorting it out.

You really do get what you pay for, and I certainly wouldn't consider using the lower end HF products for business or commercial use, but this is a hobby for me and I enjoy fixing things.

I regard any HF machine I purchase as an unfinished kit that requires some work to complete it. As long as HF continues to supply any parts under warranty that are beyond fixing I have no complaints.

M

Sharon

Bummer that your new saw has a few issues. Are these problems fixable at home with out too much trouble? I understand its new and all, but if you can fix the problems , it might be easyer, and save the trip, and gas money.

I have the 7x12, and it too had a few problems. All were easy to deal with at home so I did my own ajustments to it. I have come to know, that with many import products, They are not perfect. I usually wont bother packing a item up, and returning it unless I see no easy fix for it.

The import tools are some what of a kit, and need some tinkering as you start using them. I know it souldnt be that way, but have come to realize its life. My saw stopped making straight cuts a while back, and found the table casting was heaved up in the middle. Im not sur if it was from me over tightening the vise or from something else. I had to dissassemble the saw and re machine it flat, removing about .030 to do it.

I had no choice, as its out of warrenty yrs ago.
Anyway, good luck with it

While trying to adjust the blade guide I discovered that the blade guide won't pull out as it should (floor model at the store pulled out smoothly). a bit more force and with some resistance, it eventually came out revealing this:
View attachment 39495View attachment 39496
it looks like it was even ground at the factory to make it 'fit' (which it still doesn't really) as the grinding marks are perpendicular to the pull direction of the part (in which case if it was "scratched" from pulling it according to it's normal operation, the scratch marks would be length wise and not width wise)

I wouldn't bother breaking it down and repacking it to take back to the store. Just have them send you out a new blade guide casting (you can always work on the bad one while you wait for it to arrive).

I fully agree with you on the Grizzly Manual, it even has a chip identification guide to help with setting the speeds and blade load.

M

Thanks for the responses.

I agree, some imports should be bought with the understanding that there will be some work to do for get them fully functional - however, I find that this is more true with some companies than with others. as for Grizzlys manuals - I think they are good all around (had the same thing with my 9x20 enco lathe - ended up using the grizzly manual :) ).

As for the part - I did contact CS and requested for a replacement blade guide. am awaiting their response in email, if not by tomorrow I'll give them a call, and if that doesn't work out, I'll revert to getting the entire saw back to store :/

My HF saw came with impact damage that took out one of the plastic tension adjustment knobs. I made one at home instead of taking it back (i live 40miles away). You never really know if your getting something usable out of the box or like you said, a kit to tinker on.

bedwards

As for the part - I did contact CS and requested for a replacement blade guide. am awaiting their response in email, if not by tomorrow I'll give them a call, and if that doesn't work out, I'll revert to getting the entire saw back to store :/

Don't hold your breath waiting for an email, I've never had a reply to any of mine. However, whenever I've spoken to anyone on the phone (sometimes they're here, sometimes they're in India), they've always been very helpful.
The key is to have your receipt handy when you get through, especially if you bought it from a store.

M

my hf bandsaw locked up within an hour. when i opened the gear case the oil was disgusting and i could feel sand from the casting still in the housing. after new sealed bearings that were cheap and polishing the gears it has run for years now with a lot of heavy cutting. so now anwthing I purchase chinese gets taken apart and cleaned with new lube. I purchased a zx45 milling machine from wholesale tools last week it is in pieces now waiting for the cnc parts but there was no way i would run it without a good cleaning out first.
I dont care about voiding the warranty if I start out with a better unit because it is clean and good oil. after all the mods and conversion to belt drive the only original parts will be the castings anyway and they were square and true.
steve

Sorry for the bummer Sharon. I recently bought one too, fortunately I was pleased to find nothing memorable wrong with it. Put a good blade on it and set it up and it has been cutting every since. I do keep an eye on motor temp for large pieces and give it a cool down when it warms up, but still better than a porta band.

I also have had good CS by phone not so much by email.

Steve

Back