HF 4x6 bandsaw - buyers beware

I got the red HF 4x6 and had it shipped... I don't have a truck. First one arrive with a cracked casting one of the pivot ears broke off mangling the box, bend sheet metal, broken knobs.... I opened the gear box and the oil looked like used truck oil with sand and grit in the gear box... I called HF and they sent me a replacement.

The second one had clean beautiful golden oil in the gearbox. I changed the oil and find a few grits of sand. With absolutely no adjustment the saw cuts true and straight. I've had it for a year now and still has the same blade. It's missing a tooth or two but still cuts beautifully... if only the quality control can get better out of China. I want to build a new vertical table and a stand but it works fine the way it is... Would love to paint it a different color but not worth the hassle. Sometimes they get it right but that one time really screws it up for me.

Charlie

I got the red HF 4x6 and had it shipped... I don't have a truck. First one arrive with a cracked casting one of the pivot ears broke off mangling the box, bend sheet metal, broken knobs.... I opened the gear box and the oil looked like used truck oil with sand and grit in the gear box... I called HF and they sent me a replacement.

The second one had clean beautiful golden oil in the gearbox. I changed the oil and find a few grits of sand. With absolutely no adjustment the saw cuts true and straight. I've had it for a year now and still has the same blade. It's missing a tooth or two but still cuts beautifully... if only the quality control can get better out of China. I want to build a new vertical table and a stand but it works fine the way it is... Would love to paint it a different color but not worth the hassle. Sometimes they get it right but that one time really screws it up for me.

Charlie

I've had the exact same experience (albeit I did carry it from the store in my hatchback car...) while I did clean and reoiled the gear box, it may not have been completely necessary (but better safe than sorry) , the saw cuts true and smooth using the factory blade (I did order a few bimetal blades but so far am still waiting for the original to fail before replacing).

I do want to jig up a better clamping setup for smaller parts, and thinking of replacing the spring feed with an alternative more for the jest of it than necessity.

Charlie

My experience was similar. The first one had a cracked frame, the second had a cracked motor!

However, they sent a new motor and all was good. No sand and it runs true. When I build it a new stand I'll see if have the enthusiasm to paint the saw a different color.

M

I like the 'kit' analogy. If I wanted to build a saw or lathe or mill, I'd start with getting some castings made, then do everything that was needed to build the machine. Barring major casting flaws, these low end machines have everything you need. Some parts may need to be modified or replaced, but you are most of the way there.

If you want to buy a machine, pay for as good a machine as you can afford. If you want to save money, consider it a kit. I think, if we approach the process that way, we won't be as disappointed. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it will work right the first time.

As NX pointed out, we did this to ourselves. Now, lets deal with it.

I also like it. It's given me a new pespective. I, for the past 2 years, have willed myself away from shopping at HF. I won't even go to the website or read the circular. I don't WANT to see what they have, and how cheap it is, because I'll be tempted to buy it. I have had nothing but bad luck with every single HF tool I've bought. Angle grinder, vise, drill, multimeter, hell even screwdriver failed (plus lots more). Every time I buy there, I learn my lesson (again) and vow never to shop there (again), but eventually break my vow. As I said, it's been 2 years now.
I think that, if I had viewed those failures from the 'kit analogy' perspective, I might feel much differently - I was expecting a functional tool out of the box, as they marketed it.

But, I think my current philosophy is a safer bet - buy right, buy once.

Back