HF 4x6 bandsaw working out well

Bob, this cracked me up. It recalled an incident when I was young. I was helping a guy who raced a '64 Plymouth Fury with a 426 Wedge motor - remember those? Anyway, he had a leak at the upper radiator hose housing and we had a race in less than 2 hours so he used a Cheerios box to make a gasket. Maybe not as good as a corn flakes box but that thing never leaked and as far as I know, he never had to change it. This same guy used ice cubes jammed in a Folgers coffee can to cool his fuel inlet line and he swore that was why his car ran in the low 9-seconds at the track. So, corn flakes box? Yeah, I can get behind that!
Well, I don't eat foods like corn flakes, and I probably do not have an inner tube around to cut up (and it probably would be old and rotten if I did) but would bet big money that I could find something in my shop (or kitchen or trash can) to seal that gearbox cover well enough without ordering something online or driving to a store to do the job. Full disclosure: I have a pretty good stash of gasket material and various sealants, but probably wouldn't use if for that job. HF stuff doesn't deserve any repair that classy... ;)

You know, I bought some Starrett blades for mine a while back on the reccomendation of one of the other groups and they broke rather quickly. While they may not be the best blades I went back to buying the SuperCut blades from Harbor Freight. HF has a couple blades for this saw. The SuperCut blades are the more expensive ones and they definitely hold up better. I doubt they would hold up to Ti cutting, but they cut a lot of 6061-T6 and lately a fair amount of 4140HT. I've found that usually when I start having issues with getting moderately straight cuts its after I have used the saw to try to cut some small stuff in the upright position or when the blade has a bunch of hours on it. With a fresh blade its about as good as I can adjust it. I still rough dimension on the saw, and then true up on the mill.

If I had a ready source I trusted for Lennox blades I might try them, but I do like being able to run to the local China store and buy a blade that works ok. In another life I worked for a company called Tool & Supply and when it came to blades if it didn't say Lennox (any kind of blade) many of our customers would buy them. They would buy a brand new saw and Lennox blades at the same time.

I have heard that some of the high price low speed cold cut saw can be trusted to get much closer to dimension, but at 4-5 times the price and half the capacity I have a hard time going that way.

Back