HF 4x6 - Time to replace?

Couple of things...

Are you trying to cut crap bed railing?

<Looks over both shoulders> How did you know? Yes, I'm cutting up a crappy bed frame to make a rolling cart for a shop tool. Is there something about bed frames I need to know?

<Quickly googles "bed frame angle iron"> Sonufa!

EDIT:
I have taken a few moments to get myself under control. I was in the midst of weaving a stream of expletives that might, if it had gone off prematurely, got me fired, since I'm currently at work.
Additional reading on the myriad "qualities" of bed frame steel has me absolutely convinced that this is the problem.

Just my luck that it's the very first thing I tried to cut after getting my saw put back together. If I'd gone from cutting regular stock to the bed frame, I might have noticed that something was "different".

Dave, you've done me a huge favor. I'm going to go home tonight, throw another blade on it, and take a series of practice cuts on some known-regular angle iron. I expect everything to work fine. I'll report back, just to provide closure.

Last edited:
I've also be reading up on blade break-in, and it seems that's one more thing I've been doing wrong.

WHAT??? I made (cut to length and weld together) saw blades for 10 years as a part time job at a large industrial supplier, we never broke in any blades, we just put them on and cut. As did our customers, never had a problem. Now I got to read more crap.

WHAT??? I made (cut to length and weld together) saw blades for 10 years as a part time job at a large industrial supplier, we never broke in any blades, we just put them on and cut. As did our customers, never had a problem. Now I got to read more crap.

According to my recent reading, over-feeding is particularly hard on fresh teeth? Rx lower feed and blade speeds for the initial "so many" inches of material cut. I dunno.

According to my recent reading, over-feeding is particularly hard on fresh teeth? Rx lower feed and blade speeds for the initial "so many" inches of material cut. I dunno.

Interesting, I went to seminars from Lenox, Sterling and Morse, for blade makers, they never said a thing about it. I can't see how the teeth on that blade, know if its the first cut or the 10th cut. If you feel its right, do it. Good Luck, I hope it improves your blade life.

Bed rails can be a killer. I made the frame for a sand blast cabinet from them, had it all welded together then found the only thing that would drill it to mount the plastic panels was carbide. It literally laughed at HSS.
A note on band saw blades, if you have to change one out never put a new blade into a partial cut made by an old one. The set in the old one will be diminished and you'll take the set out of a new one as it forms into the narrow kerf made by the worn blade.

Greg

I have cut through bed rails. Maybe I was lucky. I used sulfur based cutting oil and went slow. Seemed to cut pretty well. Same thing with drilling.

I've had no problem w/bed rails. Drills easy enough, cuts easy enough too.
Made a home made hydraulic press out of some free frames.

WHAT is so special about bed frames?? Is it that they are made from crap steel or that they are mad out of supertanium?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

All bed rails are not the same.

A frame from a king bed of higher quality will be more tempered or harder so it does not sag in the middle.

We often get them from thrift stores for free as they receive bedding but cannot sell it and when we see it leaning in the corner asked for is usually free or a buck.

Learned same way...blamed cheap hf blades....BTW the big metal blades in our larger saw cut them fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Well, I'm a believer. Whatever my bed frame is made of, it's apparently pretty hard.

Threw a scrap chunk of 1 x 1 x 1/8" square tubing in with a fresh, but somewhat less aggressive, blade and it cut just fine.

Thank you all so very much! That's a lot of money saved and a weight off my mind. I thought for sure I'd screwed it up!

I'll use abrasives to chop the frame down, and go through another round of tune up on the blade guides.

Back