HF 7x14 Belt problem

tom.from.kc

Registered
Registered
My lathe keeps eating the cog belt (1.5 x70) and the timing belt. I've adjusted and aligned the motor each time i,ve replaced the belt but it keeps stripping the timing gear and then the belt.

Is it possible that you are running the belt too loose? That can cause wear. Timing belts should be pretty tight. Another thing that comes to mind is the drive pulley. You have been replacing the driven pulley, but how does the drive pulley look? If it is worn, then that may be wearing the belt out. I normally replace both pulleys at the same time, along with the belt. You don't need to change the pulleys every time you put on a new belt, but if they show any wear it is time to change them.

The other possibility is that you need a bigger lathe, maybe you are just overloading this one. Of course you need a bigger lathe.:lmao:

Eather one of the pullys arn't concentric or you are pushing the lathe to hard. If this is a new lathe make shure everything is turining smooth with out the belt on.

just a suggestion,
check the belt alignment,
add shims if necessary to correct out of square condition.
use a square or a reasonably straight object(a parallel, keystock, square tool bits, etc) to check against offset.
you can also trust your eye to a pretty accurate level too!
if it looks out of square then it probably is...

Back