HF 7X14 Seems Weak

BarnacleBill

Registered
Registered
I have a HF 7x14 mini lathe and I tried to machine a 2 inch piece of cold rolled steel and I could barley start cutting and the thing would stall.
I tried different bits and different speeds and nothing helped.
Any suggestions?

Is it wired for the correct voltage? Cut too deep? Too much feed?

What kind of tooling did you use? It does make a difference on these small lathes.

Is the lathe belt driven? No slippage?

What kind of tooling did you use? It does make a difference on these small lathes.

Is the lathe belt driven? No slippage?
There is no slippage, it just stalls and I have to move the bit back and restart it, I tried hand feeding and taking a very light, I mean very light and finally got it done.

I had the same problem with my 7x12 hf. The way i repaired my problem was to go into the circuit board and locate the adjustable pots that control speed and torque. It looks as if you have the same problem. You need to turn the Torque Pot clockwise to increase the torque but go a little at a time until you reach an acceptable torque force before limit switch kicks in and stalls the motor.

P.s. make sure you notate the current position the pot screw is in before making any adjustments so that you know how to get back to where it Originally was incase you run into problems. Take a few pictures of the circuit board before you make any changes.

You can see it on the table on my FB page,
It is 110 volts and I tried HSS bits and carbon steel bits.

I had the same problem with my 7x12 hf. The way i repaired my problem was to go into the circuit board and locate the adjustable pots that control speed and torque. It looks as if you have the same problem. You need to turn the Torque Pot clockwise to increase the torque but go a little at a time until you reach an acceptable torque force before limit switch kicks in and stalls the motor.
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you.

Several years ago the there was an article somewhere on this world-wide-web that was step-by-step instructions for tuning the board of the mini mills. It had pictures and descriptions of the various models. I'll see if I can locate it somewhere, but keep searching and maybe that site is still around somewhere.

Back