Hf 8.5x18 41292 Belt Tensioner Picture Needed

62Scout

Registered
Registered
Some time ago I picked up the bright yellow HF 8.5x18 lathe, SKU 41292 (actually, come to think of it, that SKU may be incorrect. For some reason a 3xxxx number is sticking in my head, but I'm not home at the moment to verify it. I got the 41292 off the internet). It's functional, but the belt tensioner bolt assembly nut appears to have failed at some point in the past and to say it's been hacked back together would be quite the understatement. It holds tension...kinda..for most operations in the forward direction but slips horribly in the reverse direction. Reverse is about good enough to roll some Dykem on the part, and not much else. I haven't found a need for reverse as of yet, and likely won't, but I'd still like to fix this before the need arises.

Problem is, I'm not entirely sure how the tensioner bolt is _supposed_ to be set up, nor could I find a decent depiction in the simple manual I downloaded for it.

Does anyone else have one of these beasts that could snap a photo or two for me?

I think this is the one you have and will post a PDF for you.
I have owned one for 15 years and it did everything I wanted but it doesn't get much use since I got a new 12X36 Enco.
Let me know if you need more info or pictures.
Ray

Attachments

• Harbor Freight Lathe.pdf
    563.3 KB · Views: 34
That's the one! I knew the part number started with a 3!

I already have that PDF at home, and just looked over it again, but didn't even see an exploded diagram of the adjusting bolt part. It's possible I missed it though, as I was looking at it on my phone.

Page 11 number 4 is the belt tension-er arm.
44, 45, and 46 is a bolt washer and nut that holds the arm in place and adjusts the belt.
From a different thread:
If your chuck is the original 3" then it came with two sets of jaws.
Ray

So then it's some other part that I'm looking at. What I at least thought was the tensioner bolt was the long one that comes out the front of the machine at a steep angle, just to the right of the belt cover, and pushes up against the other side of the belt tensioner. Or at least I think it did.. and now I wonder if it's something that was added to the machine by a previous owner. The picture as shown on Mini-lathe.com doesn't have this bolt. When I get home tonight I'll take another look at it and see exactly where it is pushing up against inside my machine.

I only got one set of jaws with the machine when I bought it (and several boxes of bits that weren't even for a lathe, though there were a few R8 collets that came in handy on the mill, so bonus there!). I had briefly considered attempting to locate just the jaws, but I've had the occasional issue with the jaws getting stuck on this chuck as well, so I thought better just to buy a new one when I get the chance.

No bolt sticking out of the cover here probably someone added that.
I put a 4 inch chuck on mine years back and it really made a big difference.
Ray

Turns out I made an incorrect assumption, and was attempting to explain that assumption. I just went out to the garage to take a closer look at my lathe, and found that the bolt for the tensioner was missing. What I now believe is that a prior owner attempted to make a belt tensioner that was a bit easier to use, or possibly attempting to achieve a higher belt tension, or attempting to get more travel out of the tensioner as the current belt is a tad bit too long (or just stretched quite a bit). Just a bit of finger pressure on the top of the tensioner roller was enough to get the top of the tensioner bracket down past the bolt hole in the case.

I'll make a trip to the hardware store one day this week to get a shorter belt and appropriate bolt for the tensioner. Thanks for your help, rdean! :)

Back