HF 8 inch Drill Press - Extend post

The tube is 46 mm and no one carries that in a 2 foot length, like OnlineMetals.com or a small supplier that I can find.
Any Metric website similar to OnlineMetals ? I find a lot of 45 and 50 mm tube, but not 46mm.

The tube is 46 mm and no one carries that in a 2 foot length, like OnlineMetals.com or a small supplier that I can find.
Any Metric website similar to OnlineMetals ? I find a lot of 45 and 50 mm tube, but not 46mm.

45mm might be good enough. If not for the base and head you can use some shim stock. The table might work or you can use shim stock there too but could need some fussing with when you move the table.

I did this to bring my quill up to a comfortable eye level height for me

IMG_5295_zps0104de10.jpg IMG_5296_zpse65f06fd.jpg IMG_5297_zpsd71cd11d.jpg

Couple of pieces of flat plate that conveniently were already the correct diameter. A piece of pipe that conveniently was close enough to the correct length. And 4 bits of flat bar for stiffeners......... that most inconviently, required cutting! Oh yeah, I did need to drill holes for the bolts ;)
Take your time to make sure the 2 flanges are parallel and plumb and its all good

Cheers Phil

IMG_5295_zps0104de10.jpg IMG_5296_zpse65f06fd.jpg IMG_5297_zpsd71cd11d.jpg

I have one of these drill presses as well, I would love to know what pipe us used for the Extension

My drill press uses a 3" tube and I found that a lolly column works just fine for a longer tube and can be bought at any Home Depot or Lowe's

Back