HF 8x12 - Lathe - Apron handwheel - too much play

Pull the apron and make sure everything between handwheel and rack is reasonably tight. Then look at shimming the rack down to reduce the clearance. This is pretty common on many lathes.

No real advice, Just wanted to note the awesome blue printing skills they put into that drawing. ahahaha

Hi guys ,
I have the same issue with my craftex 7x10

I need to shim the upper rack to reduce the backlash
It's one one those future projects I put up with until i get to it.

- - -

No real advice, Just wanted to note the awesome blue printing skills they put into that drawing. ahahaha

Maybe the parts really are representative of the drawings and thats where the problem lies.......

Cheers Phil

Maybe the parts really are representative of the drawings and thats where the problem lies.......

Cheers Phil
HAHAHAHA Lord I hope not. I figure them gears would be jumping and slipping all over the place

I finally removed the lead screw and carriage and looked at the gearing and there is nothing to adjust on these 8x12. The reral problem truns out to be the teeth on the apron hand wheel shaft are very narrow, more than they need to be and that is wher most of the backlash is. The gear that drives the next shat and the gear that drives the rack are fairly tight, so leaving alone until I decide to replace that first gear.

Back