HF 8x12 Lathe - Cogged belt mis aligned

gorlosky

Active User
Registered
On my HF 8x12 Lathe - the cogged belt is mis aligned, where about an 1/16 inch hangs outward off the cogged gear. I loosened all the motor mount 4 bolts to try and dip the motor downward the pulley end, but there seems to only be maybe a tad of play in the bolt/holes. The belt is rubbing the beveled area around the motor pulley, so will wear for sure in time. How is this belt alignment supposed to be done ?

Her4e is a picture of the problem. Any thought s on how to re-align properly. I thought of a major project as remving the motor and adding a block below the pulley side mounting bolts with a jack screw and of course ovalling the motor mounting holes so I can get it aligned.

100_2283.JPG

100_2283.JPG

A photo of how the motor mounts might help - I looked at the manual on-line and it looks like it has a fixed base. Maybe just a shim under the pulley end of the base would get it into alignment.

Yeah - I'm just not sure which way to go, as the belt is at a 45 degree to the motor mounts, so it is almost both moving the motor pulley end down and toward the casting, so I could shim the back mounts outward and wiggle as much pulley end down as I can get.

View attachment 71944

100_2284.JPG

Take the pulley off and place a spacer on the end of the shaft to bring it out.

Well, I can push the belt to center but soon as I turn it on, it walks to the outer bevel of the pulley on the motor, so I believe it is mis-aligned, not just out of position.

Back