HF 8x12 Lathe - Milling attachement - home made

gorlosky

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have links to or images of their home made Milling Attachment for a HF 8x12 or 8x14 lathe ? I have a 4 x 4 ground angle solid webbed, and a 2 inch small vise, which I was going to rig something like what I saw on the Varmint Al's site, but was hoping someone had pioneered that already with all the gotchas.
http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm
Scroll down to MILLING ATTACHMENT....

Well I have finished the Milling Attachment and it worked out well. The vise was bolt patterned square so I can mount it horizontal or vertical. That is a 4x4x4 solid webbed angle plate that was used, and all bolts are 1/4-20. I also bought new 4mm allen head dog socket set screws (from Fastenal) for the gib adjustment, but had to mill 3 mm off as original were 22mm, but they only had 25mm. I used magnets for alignment aid. It takes about 3 minutes to swap from tool post to milling. That is a 2 1/2 inch vise.
100_2278.JPG
100_2279.JPG
100_2280.JPG
100_2282.JPG

100_2282.JPG 100_2280.JPG 100_2279.JPG 100_2278.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice job, if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to do?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing something like this for my 8X12, it looks like you did a very nice job on your's. Have you gotten the chance to try it out, how well does it work?

It works very well horizontally and vertically. Very solid without chatter as long as all points (gibs included) are snug, especially if you are doing large milling on hard steel. Has a large range of grip and travel with that maximum 2 1/2 jaw spread and compound travel.

Uff da, these little lathes are looking better nowadays huh? I'm late to the party but have the Homier blue 7 X 12 right behind me. Gosh it'd been YEARS since I stepped onto varmint Al's site....
I REALLY like the fact that you bought another compound top just for the vice! Smart move!
It takes me far longer than three minutes to change over.... Well yours does also have that handily "unboltable" feed screw too........
In my own mind for myself, I've thought about setting the mill attachment further back (towards the tailstock) to keep the weight from trying to lift an apron leg, so to speak but then again if I'd just sweeten the apron adjustments, I'd do better.
Three minutes.
You rock!

Back