HF Band saw fix and mod

jimbob

Registered
Registered
Was about to buy a HF portable band saw when I saw one on Craig's List. Used for one project and came with extra blades for $60.00. Looked like new and ran ok.
Made a wall mount out of some scrap wood and then notice the huge wobble in the drive wheel.
After pulling the wheel I could see how off center it was drilled with no measuring needed.

So the solution, as I had no guarantee (used) was to bore it out the and sleeve it. Chucked up in the lathe I open it up a total of about .170. The aluminum was porous and full of holes plus every time when I tried to press in the sleeve it would score and bind. Finally did the heat and cold and it just dropped in.

I added an old Ryobi band saw table and now it's a nice little machine. It was actually fun figuring out how I could come up with a solution. There was a little more to the repair than listed but you will get the idea.

Hope this helps some with the same problem. I have watched several dozen utube videos and have seen drive wheel wobble and they seem to not notice. But mine was really bad.

20170920_100244.jpg

20170920_100318.jpg

I see what you did there, very clever; a super-compact vertical bandsaw.
Mark

Back