HF Bench Grinder Pedestal?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have experience with it? It’s 11x10.25. I need it for my Dewalt 6”.
I’ll take a look at it next weekend, but would be curious to hear here in advance. Of course HF says it’s predrilled but doesn’t say the hole slot widths. I’m guessing it’s probably ok on that score.

Thanks!
Tim

Just place a piece of metal between the pedestal and what ever you want to attach it to...bolt one side do the grinder, the other to the pedestal

1/4" is plenty, I just had a buffer mounted on a 50 year old pedestal, the top of the pedestal was 6" square the bottom of the buffer was 7x8" put a piece of 1/4" aluminum between them and bolted together...2 bolts going up and 2 going down...

I have two and they are ok for the $$. One has a Baldor 6" grinder and the other a 8" Porter Cable. I don't remember I built one for a 3rd 8" bench grinder. The one I built is higher and heavier and I really like the added height.

I have one, but you need to put a smaller diameter piece of steel inside the tube to keep it from being crushed when you tighten the base bolt. Otherwise the tube loosens up if you have a heavy grinder.

I welded the tube to the base and top and ditched the bolts, going to add leveling feet as well. As with most everything at HF it's a kit to start with but as it is the bolts crush the thin wall tube, at first I was going to replace the tube with some thicker wall tube but that would have cost more than the whole thing, then I thought about filling the tube with concrete, but finally just welded it together so far so good.

Well, all of this has been interesting and helpful, and dissuading me from the HF. The Wen seems a bit more sturdy, and is in the same price range. Any thoughts on the Wen?

The HF grinder stand is fine. Bolting it to the floor will keep it from moving around. But, if you have a welder, some pipe, a small piece of plate and an old brake disk you can make a truly awesome grinder stand. But, if you have the room a small rolling stand with drawers is even better. Mine is mounted on just such a piece and I keep supplies like flap disks, cutoff wheels and sandpaper in it.

Cheers,

John

Back