Hf Bender To Bp Table?

gwade

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Today, I purchased one of the cheap Harbor Freight Compact Benders. Couldn't resist it at $60 with a 25% off coupon = $45. It is the bench mount model so I'm looking for something in the shop to attach it when needed. Is it a bad idea to attach it to my Bridgeport Mill table. It sure is at a convenient location.
image_18668.jpg

Those are handy pieces of equipment. Good score! I have a little different version of that bender from a different manufacturer. I use it quite frequently.

To answer your question, I just wouldn't. It bends metal by applied leverage and brute force. Sometimes when bending thick pieces I pull on the handle as hard as I can. I wouldn't want to lever on the mill table with that much force.

That just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto just mount it to a sturdy bench when u need it unbolt when u dont

+1 to the "I just wouldn't".

When bending some 1/4" by 3" stainless for some table legs with a friend we had a cheater bar and both of us leaning into it to complete the bends.

I've used old automotive brake rotors for bases that I bolt to the concrete floor. Drill mounting holes thru the former braking surface. Weld one to each end of a 2x2" square steel tube. I found a stainless rod or one for cast iron worked the best (no cracks after cooling).

Although I have been considering sinking a 2" receiver into my concrete floor for quick-change bases for tools (2 benders, and a tire changer).

-brino

Last edited:
A mill isn't designed for that kind of twisting motion.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll find something else to mount the bender. I plan to eventually build a steel welding table and could use it. I'm afraid to mount to my plywood topped work benches for fear of ripping them apart. I may mount to a tree stump as needed until I get something better figured out.

Could you make a 2 inch square tube mount and use it in the receiver hitch of a vehicle. I have two steel columns in the shop that I've welded receivers to. The ring roller, bender, tube bender, vice, rotary welding jig and what ever else slip in when I need them, then get tucked away.

Greg

Good idea! My shop is a 40x60 steel building with red iron columns. I don't want to drill holes in my floor as I'm constantly moving stuff around. I may be able to fabricate something and use existing column bolts that are anchored in the concrete. What angle of rotation is normally needed with one of the benders? Or how far from a wall should the unit be set-up and still have full rotational movement as-needed?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll find something else to mount the bender. I plan to eventually build a steel welding table and could use it. I'm afraid to mount to my plywood topped work benches for fear of ripping them apart. I may mount to a tree stump as needed until I get something better figured out.

Don't mount it to a tree stump. Endgrain does not hold screws well. And the stump is something that can be rotting beneath w/o your knowledge.

Back