?: HF/Central Machinery Floor Drill Press Motors

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone know what frame type the motors are on the HF/CM floor drill presses? I'm assuming metric and hopefully not some weird proprietary specs. I'd be amazed if they were actually Nema 56. I need to replace my POS Delta benchtop drill press and I'm looking at options. Thanks.

I have the 20 inch production model. 10 or 15 years old. All it says is Class B, supposed to be 1 1/2 horse. The bolt spacing matches a Frame 56 I have on hand.
The chuck is lousy. Been meaning to replace it if I knew the taper.

Attachments

• CBC0BB53-547C-4EC2-A257-A5DC48BA5680.jpeg
    CBC0BB53-547C-4EC2-A257-A5DC48BA5680.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Really?! Matches a 56 frame? Wow! That amazes the heck outta me! You just made my day, Dave! I'm actually considering the 20" HF. Most of what I'm finding around me is worn out or these used dealers want waaaay too much, IMO. I know all about HF/CM tools but I have to admit the 20" dp, model 61484, looked pretty good with an 4MT taper and respectable 4.75" stroke. I have a 1HP and VFD setup I can throw on it but it's a 56 frame. Hmm.... decisions!.....

It’s been a good drill press except something is up with the spindle. An o ring came out, oil leaking. Not sure where the oil came from. The item number is 39955. Now that I think it’s closer to 20 years old. The pulley mikes 0.633. You might try to look at one in a store, but they usually don’t have the larger ones on display. Seems like I had to look around to find one in stock. The switch went out, looked forever for another. Finally measured the slot and ordered a generic off Amazon. Spindle is MT 3 I just discovered.

I had let it sit for a while and used it one winter day. When the motor started a big rat ran down the post from the belt area.

I have a little HF drill press in the basement. Raally it is my wife’s. Capacitor went out. Could not get one from HF. No commercial one would fit in capacitor holder. Bought a big one and hose clamped it on.

Last edited:
Back