HF Icon Tool Storage - Huh?

Somehow, I can't get my head around rolling four tons of tools around the shop. Now if they motorize it and provide a remote......

There's a POTD idea right there!

Talking about tool storage, I bought two heavy duty file cabinets, with drawers that are only half of the usual height. They have ball bearing drawers. They're heavy. However, the metal is pretty flimsy. My first try was to put 4 wheels on it with the bolts at the bottom replacing the 4 adjustable height bolts.

They bent pretty easily due to not mush support down there. So I cut out some metal plates, some bed rail and welded 4 rectangle corners, then welded 4 small bolts each, then bolts a new set of swivel casters on it. I was exhausted at the end. The smoke and fume was bad, even outside. I had a large fan on, it was not so much wind, and when there was wind, it went all kind of directions, causing the fan to work against the wind, not working basically. Good think I wasn't sick after that.

After I finished with 1 cabinet, I decided to give away the 2nd, just too much. But after 2 days of no claims, I moved it into a right place for it. I still didn't have time to organize my stuffs into it.

I made good money with my HF tools and still have and use most of them.

As someone who used to work for them I can assure you they know their market and will sell the heck out of their new higher end stuff. And if not they will be just as quick to clearance it out.

I haven’t seen anyone else jumping into the space (dedicated tool store selling to a local market nationwide). In most other places your only option for tools is Home Depot or another big box where good luck finding someone who can even spell hammer.

When I worked there I met plenty of customers who could have spent $5k on a toolbox if we had one. Lots of old guys like us who keep buying even when we already have two of everything. I also met lots of tradesmen who just had their trailer or shop full of high end stuff stolen and they just needed something to finish the job they were working on.

Plus, just the fact they support high school trades education makes me happy:)

Cheers,

John

P.S. I love my big old stationary (vidmar like) box. Never saw the logic of putting my tools on wheels so thieves could roll them away.

I don't think they are going after the average Joe with the Icon line. Its geared more toward the professional mechanic turning wrenches all day everyday. If the mechanic can buy the Icon box for thousands less than the same Snap on box then that is the target market. Plus HF is going to offer credit.

I bought a US General 56" chest to use for a lathe stand, and given the quality of that chest and the price, I don't know how you would need anything more. It's got all full roller drawers with latches, it's made from fairly heavy guage steel and mine is loaded to the gills with lathe and mill accessories, not lightweight stuff and it has no complaints. Full disclosure: I built a subframe and used leveling casters to lower it by about 7 inches so I didn't have to reach up to run my lathe, so I can't speak for the casters, but they looked good and I will probably use them on another project. I think maybe we're a little spoiled nowadays for toolboxes, considering 25 years ago you would have paid the more in inflation adjusted dollars for a 26" full roller chest from Sears. I don't even know when they started selling full roller toolboxes to the general public, might have been later than that.

I bought a US General 56" chest to use for a lathe stand, and given the quality of that chest and the price, I don't know how you would need anything more. It's got all full roller drawers with latches, it's made from fairly heavy guage steel and mine is loaded to the gills with lathe and mill accessories, not lightweight stuff and it has no complaints. Full disclosure: I built a subframe and used leveling casters to lower it by about 7 inches so I didn't have to reach up to run my lathe, so I can't speak for the casters, but they looked good and I will probably use them on another project. I think maybe we're a little spoiled nowadays for toolboxes, considering 25 years ago you would have paid the more in inflation adjusted dollars for a 26" full roller chest from Sears. I don't even know when they started selling full roller toolboxes to the general public, might have been later than that.

After looking at quite a few tool chests I bought a US General 26" and 44" as stands for my mini-mill and lathe, as well as to store tooling for both the larger and smaller machines. I agree these chests are better made than most others in the general price range, and I think a very good value for the money.

I don't see these new Icon chests as being any competition for the US General line, totally different class of budget.

I don't think they are going after the average Joe with the Icon line. Its geared more toward the professional mechanic turning wrenches all day everyday. If the mechanic can buy the Icon box for thousands less than the same Snap on box then that is the target market. Plus HF is going to offer credit.
Ah. This seems like the most reasonable explanation but I still can't see my father (runs a body shop) going to HF and saying to himself I need to have that toolbox where do I sign up for credit. I suppose there are people out there though that value this kind of proposition. Each to his own!

Back