HF Icon Tool Storage - Huh?

They've tried things before that didn't work out, they don't sell full size machine tools anymore. They even sold a surface grinder and a CNC version of the X2 for a very short while. Time will tell if this works out or not. Also, I wouldn't trust a demonstration done by a salesman to begin with. Bolts might not be the same, or could have been tampered with before the demonstration.
You’ll get no argument from me. I just maybe have more faith in the ability of large companies to figure out the most efficient and effective ways to strip us of our money while we smile.

My main box is an Equipto (like a Vidmar I guess, made for parts storage rather than tools originally). I also have various Craftsman and other no-name boxes. I suppose if I was going to work at another shop I would need to buy something big and lockable but what I have now works and it's paid for. I can move the Equipto by myself if I take the drawers out, or by forklift if I ever get another one. I also have a bench with big drawers, an old blueprint file for small tools, and more stuff like bolt bins in storage not to mention my 20' shop trailer out west. I guess I've got enough tools now, maybe....

Yeah, maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think to some extent you're comparing apples and oranges. On one hand I do agree that the snap On boxes are outrageously expensive. On the other hand I think you'll find that in a professional setting over time the Snap On boxes will take far more abuse than the HF models. I purchased my first Snap On box in the late 1970's. As a repair shop owner and professional mechanic the drawers were opened and closed hundreds of times a day, and it probably accumulated more miles rolling across the shop than most of the customers cars. I used that box in a professional setting for over 20 years.

I still have the box today, but it sits in the corner of the garage. The drawers still get opened on a regular basis, but it hasn't accumulated much mileage in the last 15 years or so. About as far as it moves these days is a couple feet a few times a year to retrieve a dropped tool, or to clean behind it. In the 40+ years I've had it I've never had to repair or replace a single part. The slides and rollers used to get lubed on a monthly basis, now days it's down to an annual basis. For the money spent 40 years ago it's held up well.

As for the Craftsman boxes of the same era I would classify them as trash. I tried to trade 2 of them in when purchasing the Snap On , but the dealer wasn't interested. Both were only a couple years old and had already worn out several drawer slides and wheels.

As a hobbyist I wouldn't even consider a Snap On box or any tools for that matter. While they do stand up far better than the HF or similar brands in a professional setting most hobbyists never come close to using their tool to the extent they'd ever notice the difference. The last few wrenches I've purchased came from a local farm store. They're Duracraft Pro series. If I remember correctly a 1 1/16" combination wrench cost less then $20.00. At the time the same wrench from Snap On cost over $96.00. For what I use it for the I'll never wear out the Duracraft.

I pulled my last Craftsman box out of the dumpster at work. What’s that saying about one mans trash again? Lol

Was on a tour of the machine shop for JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA) you would think they would have top end gear, but most of the tool chests were Craftsman and Harbor Freight (General) and had been around for years. They do not get moved and the environment was pretty spotless. Almost all the machines were decades old, although they do upgrade the electronics/software. Something to be said that newer and more expensive is not necessarily any better. All my tool chests are HF General line, and have lasted for years, a good balance between cost and durability for the level of use they get. Everything to a price point, just can't see the ICON line selling that much relative to the current HF clients. Who knows, maybe they are going upscale and will be carrying Taiwanese and American made machinery in the future.

I think it's actually a stated goal of theirs to bring on more higher quality lines. Don't know if that will extend to machine tools but if they think they can make a profit they might get back into it. They used to carry a lot more machines than they do now, probably has to do with the cost of support.

I think it's actually a stated goal of theirs to bring on more higher quality lines. Don't know if that will extend to machine tools but if they think they can make a profit they might get back into it. They used to carry a lot more machines than they do now, probably has to do with the cost of support.

You frequently see comments about long term support in reference to higher cost HF tools. Nobody cares if they can get parts for their $40 vise in 10 years, but where an $800 TIG welder is cheap by TIG welder standards, you still do see many people hesitant to spend that kind of money on something with a 90 day warranty and no guarantee of continued parts support in 6 months since HF is known to change suppliers more often than Elizabeth Taylor changed husbands.

Their current parts support is bring it back and get a new one. Not really practical for hard to move items like a tool chest or items where people stockpile consumables and don't want a replacement that uses different consumables. What a pain it would be to empty out, and transport a monster tool chest both ways simply over a bad drawer slide.

It is a really crucial factor in buying anything worrying about support. But the way the whole market domestic or foreign the constant change and making things obsolete and can't get parts is pretty much the way of the world now. Not only HF changes suppliers so does Home Depot, Lowes etc. It's harder and harder to even find a place to buy truly quality tools. I've pretty much been buying old Makita's if I want quality. They at least seem to not change their models all the time and parts seem available. When I bought my Waterloo I also bought a HF 1/2" impact and 1/4" die grinder. I used both daily as a line mech and still have them and use them going on 40yrs later.

My first try at getting HF parts is a electric long nose die grinder that I've for over 10yrs. It has been used in two stationary machines, my radii cutter and stationary die grinder for the last 4yrs. Not everyday but used hard when I do. I bought a new one that is a different design so I didn't have to swap between the two setups. The old one quit the other day and it turned out it was the brushes. I couldn't believe after digging for over an hour I found the spare set of brushes, installed them and finished the project! Turns out the model has been discontinued and it has different brushes than the new one. :( I just ordered new spare brushes for my old HF die grinder after a long wait on the phone and it was $8 per set(I bought 2 sets) and they didn't charge me for shipping, such a deal!

Last edited:
It might be that they are made of special materials that increase in weight after removing the packaging.

shipping weight 222lbs
product weight 234 lbs

???

that is a clever trick :)
and they cant be the wrong way round as I'm sure the cardboard and protective bits would be over 10 lbs for it.

I always look at the weight of roll cabs when comparing the cheeper ones so I get an idea of where they are saving the money ;) it's amazing how much variance their is in them. <---- Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it , ha ha .

Stu

Back