HF Mill Back Together Again

That's a nice mill there! I don't have room for a BP sized mill and so far my Johannson B12 (precursor to Clausing 8520) has done everything I needed to do.... except drilling holes in bigger workpieces. The arbor/chuck takes up a lot of vertical real estate. Never thought I'd really need a drill press after getting my mill but yes, it's inevitable. Oh man, I wanna see that column spacer when you install it. I would love to rig something up for my mill.
I bought a 6" diameter x 6" long round bar of steel. Just need to get two other projects completed. :)

impressive work on tuning up your machine! paint job looks many times better as well
Thank you. Its a labor of love. Small machine rebuilding has become a hobby!

I thought some here might be interested - After buying and disassembling this thing, over a year ago, it's finally back together and running :~)
I needed a small mill for my small shop, and after trying to find a Clausing 8520 or similar for quite a while, I gave up, and so here it is.
Probably was the first one they sold, last year, after it came back in stock, and it came up, it was listed at the old $1800 price!
I bought it instantly, and I think within a couple hours, they bumped it to $2600 - But they honored the old price.

I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of these mills, as that's been done to death - But I have a couple observations.
First - If you buy one of these, you really need to take it apart completely, and clean it, whether or not you choose to paint it, as I did.
The whole thing was unbelievably filthy inside, full of grinding grit, and just plain black grime.
Once it was back together, after being cleaned and de-burred, it's actually really nice and smooth, and surprisingly accurate - When I trammed it, the "nod" direction was within about .0005" - Don't know if just I got a good one, but it's good enough for me in any case.

What I found:
The key in the spindle bore stuck out too far to let a collet in - I wish I'd found this out when I had the head on the bench, for cleaning and painting.
After it was together, I had to turn the head to 90º, and reach in with my wife's jewelers flex shaft tool to grind it down - Annoying to say the least.
The drawbar was too long - I had to trim 1/2" off the top, in order for the lid to close with a collet in.
The amount of filler on the castings was amazing - They troweled it right over some of the joints where the head swivels and pivots.
I ground and blended a LOT, before I painted it.
The motor (2hp) seems very strong - The mill actually jerks when I hit the switch - No soft start here. It has kind of a high pitched whine, running.
Spindle bearings are pretty quiet, even with my stethoscope. I haven't checked the runout yet.
The belts shed rubber like mad - They quickly covered the mill with black dust - I think the pulleys are a little hard on them.
I changed them to Gates belts, which still shed. Finally changed to adjustable link ones, which seem OK now, and seem smoother and quieter.
And, believe it or not - The tapered gibs, on all three axes, looked to be hand scraped! But nothing else was ;~)
I have some new, old style, handwheels for it, that I still have to machine, as I'm not crazy about the disc-style ones .......

Anyway, here it is before, and after, about a year and a month after delivery, with it's new smoke gray brush paint job - It will never look this clean again.
I know red is supposed to be an auspicious color to the Chinese, but I didn't like it :~(
The stand is the top half of a Hardinge mill cabinet - I have a couple of them kicking around, so didn't feel too bad about cutting one down to size.
View attachment 425566

View attachment 425567
Beautiful Job! I love grey, I paint all of my stuff light machinery gloss grey.

Thank you, Charles - It was really something that HAD to be done.
Whether you paint it or not, they need to be taken apart, cleaned, and fitted back together - These mills are NOT plug and play, unfortunately.

Back