• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Project of the Month Reward

Please nominate your favorite Project of the Month HERE! We will now pay $50 to the winners of the Project of the Month, payable in Amazon Gift Card, PayPal (inclusive of fees), Ebay gift card (inclusive of fees), or Visa gift card (purchase and delivery fees included).
[4]

HF mini lathe lead screw

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rodmkr

Swarf
Registered Member
Have been around lathes and machine shops most of my life.
Was actually born in a shop.
My Mother was my Dads bookkeeper and went into labor in the office
At 79 years old I bought a used HF mini lathe.
It does all I ask of it but I foresaw several problems.
Have fixed most of them but have one I need someone with more knowledge of them than I to answer a question.

W hen I had the apron off of the lathe I noticed that it had only 1 half nut so ordered a set from LMS.
Unfortunately they will not work due to the lead screw having a cover over the top half.
Removed the cover and the lead screw gets filled with chips real quick.

Never had the problem on any production lathe I ever used so need advice on the use of only 1 half nut.
As it is used for carriage feed as well as threading how quickly will it wear out the half nut or lead screw?
Is there a alternative way to cover the lead screw that will allow the use of both half nuts?
Or am I just wasting my time worrying about it

Jim

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Little machine shop has a telescoping lead screw cover kit available for 7x10 and 7x12 mini lathes I have not tried it yet but it looks good:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/search.php?tabName=Products&term=telescoping
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5201&category=

I installed the two part nut on my HF lathe and just leave the lead screw open And clean it often. The 1/2 nut version uses that curved upper bracket to keep the lead screw in contact with the 1/2 nut and can take normal use if kept lubed well.

Roy

dkwflight

Iron
Registered Member
Hi
I bought the lead screw cover kit from LMS.
It works as advertised keeping the lead screw and half nuts clean
I used to have a problem with debris sticking to the lead screw lube and ending up in the half nuts/
Two issues
THe directions called for installing the end fixtures tabs down.
I had to install the end fixtures tab up. No big deal.
I lost a bit of travel at the right side, not a big deal. If I need the extra bit of room I can remove the right side cover kit.
Good luck with the mini lathe "Kit"

[6]
[5] [7]