HF/Northern Tool band saw question

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
(*EdiT* Thought about youtube, just watched a video, so, I'm a pro now!! Anyhows, out to go at it, any suggestions still welcome!) Seems the pinion gear shaft was frozen in my saw, got it loose, but sounds/feels rough. Took the housing set screw out, thinking I could put a grease fitting in, but, seems it may be the back side of a bushing visible in the hole? How would you remove this gear/shaft from the housing? Thinking replacing the bearings may be the ticket. Also, is it a good idea to install a grease fitting between the 2 bearings on the shaft?Any help appreciated, andyh bandsaw.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the shaft came out, with a bit of persuasion. A full length spacer was between the bearings. A bolt and coupling nut provided the final push. One bearing is really rough, off to NAPA tomorrow to get a replacement. band saw 2.jpg

Attachments

• band saw 3.jpg
    band saw 3.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 20
I had one at work a part, but that was 20yrs ago. I didn’t think there was anything weird about it, but I didn’t want to lead you astray. Good job. I’d check and lube the bushing on the take up wheel. If they get too worn they don’t track and will pop the blade off. Did your gear box have oil or grease? Be careful what you use as some lube will eat the brass worm gear.

" Did your gear box have oil or grease? Be careful what you use as some lube will eat the brass worm gear. "
It had gear oil in it, thick and black. Thanks for the tip on the gear oil, since you mentioned it, I remember that now - I bought some yesterday, will have to check, see if safe to use now.

I had one at work a part, but that was 20yrs ago. I didn’t think there was anything weird about it, but I didn’t want to lead you astray. Good job. I’d check and lube the bushing on the take up wheel. If they get too worn they don’t track and will pop the blade off. Did your gear box have oil or grease? Be careful what you use as some lube will eat the brass worm gear.
Looking on the net, seems GL5 rated gear oil is safe for yellow metal. Thanks again for the tip!

Back