HF SIEG X2 - Malfunction

jweaver72

Active User
Registered
If it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all!

My belt drive arrived last week so I was finally able to start using my new X2. I spent the week end milling the parts for my manual power drawbar and all worked very well, until today. I was hogging out some 6061 with my 5/8" end mill and the mill spaz'ed out. Right in the middle of the cut it throttle came wide open on the thing (I swear the RPM must have doubled) and I had to hit the estop.

I did a lot of reading this evening and the problem that most closely fits my situation is, failed Mosfets due to excessive vibrations. So I had mt son help me remove them. I held the solder iron and the board and he held the Mosfet. Well, even after I had ask him to not pull to hard and to not rock the component (He has ADHD), that is exactly what he did and he removed the solder eyelets from the board along with the mosfets.

So long story short (I know, it already to late for that). I am looking for a replacement board. I have been to all of the links and threads so I have a good idea on where to go from here but since some of those threads had older information, I was wondering if anyone has come across a new solution.

Thank you

If it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all!

My belt drive arrived last week so I was finally able to start using my new X2. I spent the week end milling the parts for my manual power drawbar and all worked very well, until today. I was hogging out some 6061 with my 5/8" end mill and the mill spaz'ed out. Right in the middle of the cut it throttle came wide open on the thing (I swear the RPM must have doubled) and I had to hit the estop.

I did a lot of reading this evening and the problem that most closely fits my situation is, failed Mosfets due to excessive vibrations. So I had mt son help me remove them. I held the solder iron and the board and he held the Mosfet. Well, even after I had ask him to not pull to hard and to not rock the component (He has ADHD), that is exactly what he did and he removed the solder eyelets from the board along with the mosfets.

So long story short (I know, it already to late for that). I am looking for a replacement board. I have been to all of the links and threads so I have a good idea on where to go from here but since some of those threads had older information, I was wondering if anyone has come across a new solution.

Thank you

I guess I should have said " The Mosfet's on the PC Board".

You might can fix the board by making jumper wires to bypass the torn traces. You really can't mess it up worse so give it a try.

Nothing that money can't fix. LMS sells the controller boards.

Last edited:
I taught high reliability soldering and circuit board repair for the USAF for many years. If you can solder there are(were) kits available to replace pads and runs on circuit boards. Goolgle 'circuit board repair kit' and see what comes up.
Another option may be to use a treadmill controller. I have 'freecycled' several treadmills and have such a controller and motor running my X2 mill now.

Chuck

Chuck

Thank you for the info. I looked into it and decided that I have done enough damage to the board so I am going to send it out for repair. I contacted the gentleman that repairs them for 50 bucks, explained what I had done and he will fix my blunder as well as the original problem for 20 extra dollars.

Since I plan to convert my machine to CNC down the road, I think I am going to go ahead perform a motor and controller upgrade right now and keep the original motor and repaired controller as a back up or even a loaner.

I would love to do what another poster was able to do for under 300 but it was a few years ago and I don't think it is possible anymore.

spindle motor: Kollmorgen Goldline XT (MT308TB1-E1F4) brushless servo. 1.81 HP - 3000 rpm @ 225 oz/in.
spindle controller: ServoStar CD (CE06250) w/ motion link controller software.
spindle encoder: Class F LPR incremental w/ 2048 ppr

Im going to keep my eyes open for something comparable but in the meantime I'm leaning toward a suggestion that Hoss made:

VFD w/220 motor upgrade:

MTR-002-3BD36 AC MOTOR 2HP 3600RPM 56C 208-230/ 460VAC 3-PH ROLLED STEEL - $127.00
NEW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY VFD 1.5KW 2HP CE US STOCK DRIVE INVERTER - $130.99

I'm open to upgrade suggestions.

Don't take this comment the wrong way, but with your wish list of things you want to do, maybe you should consider putting the mill you have back in shape and consider selling it and getting a larger mill, rather than all the upgrades to the one you have. Buy one that is already belt drive and has a three phase 2 hp motor and start from there. In the long run you might be out less money and you would end up with a larger, heavier, more capable mill. Use the one you have for a while and you can probably still get a good price for it used. I'm not sure the X2 spindle will stand up too well with a much larger motor. I bought a G0704 and soon realized that I didn't buy enough mill for what I wanted to do with it, even though it had a table and travel that would be plenty adequate for anything I wanted to do. After working with it, it just doesn't have the rigidity and power for what I want to do. I ran across a 2hp RF30 clone for a decent price that will probably end up getting more use than the G0704 (for a LOT less investment). Is it what I really want? No - I will eventually get a knee mill. Just food for thought.

maybe you should consider putting the mill you have back in shape and consider selling it and getting a larger mill, rather than all the upgrades to the one you have. Buy one that is already belt drive and has a three phase 2 hp motor and start from there. In the long run you might be out less money and you would end up with a larger, heavier, more capable mill.

SEK

Where were you a few months ago :) Just kidding.

You are so right. If I would have known then what I know now I might have gone that way, but then again, I have had a lot of fun just toying with the machine and moding it. This might sound stupid but learning metal working on a machine this small is not as intimidating as a larger one and I guess on the bright side, I will now be able to appreciate the capabilities of a larger machine, when I get one.

You do make a good point though and I thank you for keeping me focused on reality and getting my head out of the clouds. The truth is, if I am going to do a CNC conversion, it should be done to a more capable machine and since my CNC conversion is not going to happen until I learn the metal better. I should just get this mill back into working order and put the extra money toward my next mill.

Im with you, I would love a knee mill as well.

Thanks again

Back