HF Toolbox - worth a small modification!

I scored the 44" bottom box for $199.00 It was a floor model and was missing the handle and the lock, so what! For 199 bucks it will work well in the garage for mechanic tools, I never lock it anyway, and I never move it either. I'll add that hf tool boxes are one of those great bargains even at their sale prices. They are well made, sturdy, have decent drawer roller guides, and the deep drawers have double guides.

I recently bought one of the side boxes like that for same purpose. Have to put casters on. I was very impressed with the quality. The thing is surprisingly heavy and well constructed. One of the great Harbor Freight items.

NOTE: The coupons for $% off won't work on cabinets usually.

+1 on the HF tool boxes. I bought one of the 42" roll cabs about 5 years ago for the garage and I'm completely satisfied with it. I think
it's as good as my Craftsman boxes purchased in the 70's that live in the shop. Great idea putting the wheels on the end cabinet.

I added casters to a Craftsman side box several years ago. Seems it was taller than the base unit of the combination I bought 40 years ago, so it wouldn't hang on it. Oops Figured casters were a better solution than just sitting it on the floor. Did it entirely differently, but bottom line, whatever works is the right way, at least for me. I may have used the wood spacer idea if I'd thought of it though...

When we built a garage a couple years ago, I figured a 72" Harbor Freight box (coupon, $200 off) in the cost. Laid an old, 36x80, solid door I picked up for free on top for a work bench. Yeah, it's high, which is perfect! Working on small stuff bent over just isn't fun with a couple of messed up body parts. Big stuff goes on the tractor lift.

For me, the Harbor Freight unit is a good box, for my Ford Technician brother, he'd wear out the drawers in a year with the repeated, every day, use. Mine sit there closed most of the time, especially in winter, so they'll last forever.

While this is a machinist forum, and I've been dreaming of delving into actual machining for 50 years, so far it hasn't really materialized. My boxes are filled mostly with hand tools, measuring equipment, files, some engine tools, stuff. Other equipment includes a stick welder, acytelene torches for heating and bending in the big vice (after I broke a medium size vice), various angle grinders, chop saw, a newly purchased 4x6 bandsaw (Love those coupons!) and lots of hammers for fine tuning.

I take it none of you guys that have casters on the tall tower boxes never worry about tipping them over? Seems like an accident just waiting to happen, particularly if you have one heavy drawer open on the top. Or push it against something on the floor. Kinda too scary for my liking.

Last edited:
Well, my side box is every bit as stable as the 26" wide, combination unit, with 2 added middle boxes making it over 6' tall, it sits next to.... ;)

When space is at a premium, vertical is where it's at!

I'm not worried, they are HEAVY, and unless you're silly enough to pull out multiple drawers at the same time, they sit pretty darn tight to the floor.

Reactions: DHJ
So Randy, you think they need training wheels on them??:)o_O

Certainly your point is a very, very good caution. As with all toolboxes one needs to be mighty careful about overloading them and pay attention to their center of gravity.

While I don't use mine as project carts, they are "roll arounds". That is why I like them so much, they're easy to move as needed. I am mighty careful when moving any roll around and only move and run on smooth and clear concrete floors. My little boxes generally only move a few feet at a time and are stable enough to suit me.

I moved a really tall Kobalt box recently and your point gave me enough pucker factor that I did a JSA before I moved it! It's full and heavy! Of course this one and the two other tall ones I have are not moved often at all though. And if they prone to the wiggles, I won't buy it. I shed a Craftsman because of that.

kobalt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never considered putting casters on the side box but I think I may just have to do one of those to add to my collection! Thanks for the post @Alan H !!

I too love the HF boxes. Can't beat them in my book. I have a 42" bottom box and a 5 drawer cart in my shop. Recently I've bought a couple of the rolling workbenches. Really nice wood tops. I have 2 of them in my reloading room. I've modded one to house my pancake air compressor. I also bought a 4 drawer cart and modded it so I could mount my mini lathe on it.

Usually some sort of coupon for one or more the boxes on the HF coupon database site along with just about every other current HF coupon. Here's that link if anyone needs it.

Harbor Freight Coupon Database

The HF boxes along with my Snap On stuff. I bought the SO boxes new in 1988. HF cabinet that I painted to match on the wall abouve the weling table also.

The HF workbenches and 4 drawer lathe cart in my reloading room...

Might as well throw in a pic of my reloading bench build. :grin:

Back