Hf8x12

Guess it's safe to assume the lead screw and dials are metric?
My first lathe was a HF 8". I was a great lathe, and the only reason I upgraded was because I got a killer deal on a logan 10"

the leadscrew and dials are imperial and it's set-up to do standard threads, but I believe it did a limited amount of metric threads as well.

I had tired to look at the hf 8" lathe I called the local store not only did they not stock it but told me it could only be shipped which adds another $100. to the cost.
I eventually spent a little more and purchased the Griz 0602 10 x 22 lathe

Just received my new 8x12 lathe from Harbor Freight . I can't wait to get her into service. I struggled mightily about which machine to buy. I have a limited budget and I also prefer to upgrade the drive system to VFD myself as time and cash allows. Here is the crate as it arrived.
Crate.png
I made me a little dolly with some wheels I had so I could get it from the driveway to the basement

Last edited:
I have certainly put way more time into looking at lathes than I care to admit. From Craigslist to Ebay and all the web sites. I for sure am no expert as many of you are, but if I didn't pull the trigger on this I never would. I was waiting on the %25 coupon and just a few days ago one came in the mail so I jumped.

I communicated with Dan Sherman about this lathe and his recommendation. I really enjoy watching his videos and honestly that is where I got the idea originally. Dan was kind enough to spend the time to give me his thoughts on various machines. One thing he mentioned about the 8x12 was that the new machines didn't have the 2 V ways. It's difficult to see but looking at the machine on the HF website you can indeed see that there is only one V way. Investigating further it sounds as if they changed the design around 2007. Ok so being the stubborn sort that I am, I convinced myself I could live with the single V way. The 7x lathes only have one.

Well after opening the shipping box this is what I found.
Hardened.JPG
Do you guys know what Induction Hardening is?

--Chip

Front.JPG
So I most definitely have some cleaning to do. Do I need to remove the saddle and clean there as well?

Ad.PNG
The dead center was wrapped in this newspaper. As you can see they are running a 50% off sale. Trouble is I don't know on what. Maybe you guys can help me out :)

--Chip

you won't regret your purchase. It's a great little lathe for the money.

Induction hardening is a localized heat treat. It reduces wear on the ways.

By the way, what is the best for cleaning this stuff off the lathe? Mineral spirits? I've read about this but never used it.

Back