HGR HAS 16- 18" MONARCH 1942 navy $783.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
GOD I wish I could get her. The very best LATHES ever. One spinner handle missing or broken hand wheel looks ok . She's a good looking machine .

Well, I am building an entire virtual industrial machine shop in my head. Complete with overhead shafts, and three phase circuits. Every time I see a particularily magnificent machine, that I either pass on or loose to a higher bidder, I add it to the shop. Much better than actually buying and having to move and install these big monsters.

Here's my latest addition (edit: to my virtual shop) the rebuilt 18x 8' Henley, that came up on the local market last summer. Completely rebuilt, including grinding the ways, with tooling.

IMG_4104.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I am building an entire virtual industrial machine shop in my head. Complete with overhead shafts, and three phase circuits. Every time I see a particularily magnificent machine, that I either pass on or loose to a higher bidder, I add it to the shop. Much better than actually buying and having to move and install these big monsters.

Here's my latest addition - a rebuilt 18x 8' Henley, that came up on the local market last summer. Completely rebuilt, including grinding the ways, with tooling.

View attachment 246879
Excellent Glenn, I think I remember that thread where we were all oooing and ahhhing over that beauty. Glad you came to your senses and got it.
How's she turn?

Ahaha, well, it turns smooth as silk in my imagination. I didn't actually purchase the lathe, only mentioned it above as an addition to my Virtual machine shop- machines I wished I owned!

Glenn

That is my all time favorite old time lathe; I always wanted one, probably will not happen, will have to settle for my 19" Regal Leblond WW-2 lathe that came off a Liberty ship.

Back in my earlier years, I ran a old new 36" Monarch lathe that came from government storage. The only noise that lathe made came from the 30 HP motor. Nice and smooth running, I could hold 0.001" tolerances all day long on that lathe! There's a shop here in town where I'm at, the owner has four of the 36" Monarch lathes in his shop. Brought back memories.

BTW: I know a man that had two of them Hendy tieback lathes in his shop. They sure were nice! He sold them many years back for a different taste in iron.

I down load the pictures if possible and save them. Boring mills , planners , turret LATHES all kinds I've run and learned on. I wish I had pictures of the real shops I'd worked in.
I wouldn't or couldn't have chosen a better profession.

Back