Hi Moly M7 vs m42 cobalt # drill set for model engine cast iron machining, big difference in price.

Ridetoeat

Registered
Registered
Considering the Norseman M7 #drill set for my model engine machine shop, would be my first # drills and don't want to buy twice !! I have M42 regals in my older fractionals and they have been life changing when I use them, Will I regret not spending triple down the road and getting M42 cobalt ??

Thanks..

if you are predominately drilling cast iron, you can use just about any drill you wish.
cast iron is not usually a challenge to drill, unless there is lots of hard spots in the cast iron
if there are hard spots, even M42 could be less than stellar in performance

i use both 8% cobalt (M42 HSSE) and HSS drills, dependent on material to be drilled

you'll not go wrong by buying higher quality drills, if the end result is important

I'd say it mainly comes down to heat. Cobalt can take a lot more of it than HSS and still retain its hardness. That's about the long and short of it. I find HSS adequate for 90% of the work.

Ok, I done some testing by drilling a 1/8" hole through a 1" forged steel torsion bar key with the mill this morning. I was surprised that I could do that with a cheap lowes / dewalt drill bit I found new in the pack in my loose drawer of bits. That went so well I checked the needed drills for this first model casting kit I am starting on and only 1 of the needed drills on the list I made was off more that .002" so I ordered 2 cheap drill and tap combo kit's from amazon for like $15 and problem solved for now. I am just building model gas engines from casting kits and I don't think any of this is going to be difficult materials for now. I will just supplement my existing m42 fractional drill set as needed from the local fastenal, the same way I do when I need replacements, they stock the m42 cobalt. Being I was trying to spend money and failed, I ordered a set of 5c collets, square and hex blocks with closers as well, problem solved.

I appreciate the weigh in on bits, I had found m42 to be preferred as well for everything prior and was just struggling to spend $160 on a set I have never needed in 57 years prior and only thought I needed 4 of the 60 currently. Worked out and put the money to better use.

Thanks Again, Doug...

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Back