Hi Spot / Prussian Blue Dye

38super

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried other light wavelengths to help see high spots? I tried UV, but interpreting high spots from reflections is not easy.

Not gonna work, Hi Spot does not fluoresce to UV. Oh well, on to another dead end

What if you tried mixing in UV dye? Can get it at any auto parts store & it's not expensive. Not sure if it will mix well though or if it will change the viscosity any. Worth a try IMO.

Hmm is right! That would be cool if it works. Who knows, maybe you stumbled upon a new product to offer! ;)

If you get rich, I would like 2% consulting fee of the profit on the first batch please. :D

I've tried long and short wave UV lights with canode and dykem blue. Didn't expect it to work and it didn't disapoint .
Have been using a florescent which isn't very good but will look for Full Spectrum Bulbs for the lamp and may try darkzero's idea.

You might try monochromatic laser light from a cheap pointer, scattered through some ground glass, or a piece of acrylic or polycarbonate. Perhaps yellow light from a sodium lamp. It shows red colour as black, and a high spot sans dye that got rubbed away might show as bright yellow on the shiny spot.

To be clear, is this kind of high-spotting the reverse kind where the blue is applied very thin, direct to the part being spotted, and then one looks for the shiny spots where it was rubbed away?

For context, I am inexperienced in this. I just keep reading anything I find, and try to figure out what folk do. I also experiment a lot.

Rub yellow Ink on the part first and wipe it off with a rag then apply the blue. The yellow will block the reflection a little and make the blue easier to see.....

This is what Richard King made us do in his scraping class....

Last edited:
Back