Hidden PM machines

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I got my sights on a couple Precision Matthews machines. Today I discovered there are hidden models not listed on their main site.
How can I get to these pages to see these hidden models?
Right now I'm looking at the PM-1022v for a lathe and the PM-727v for a mill. Shop size limits and what I make leaning me towards these smaller platforms.
However, if I can get more quality in the same size then I would like to consider that.

I see the mills on the site, try clearing your cache? I've been happy with my PM727m. I still rather deal with PM than the others, they provided me with good customer service. I have the PM12x36 and the PM727m, get the preinstalled DRO. Well worth the cost getting the 3 axis dro.

Much depends on what you want to make, now & later. I've got a larger PM lathe and have found I can run out of space on it rather quickly. The 1236 seems like a better compromise on size. Mounting things on a face plate very quickly eats up your swing. Also the mass of the machine greatly helps when using a face plate since it is almost always running out of balance, even when you try to add balance weight. And yes you can run really slow rpms, depends on your tolerance and ability to stay awake. :big grin:

Hi @Maplehead ,

I'm not sure how "hidden" they are......

If I go to: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/
and search on "PM-1022v" I get this page:

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/?s=PM-1022v
with four "hits" on the PM-1022v:
1577756159950.png

the third one leads me to:
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

1577756222662.png

If I search on "PM-727v" I get another three "hits:
1577756426372.png

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-727v/
shows:

1577756510351.png

Is that what you want?

-brino

Attachments

• 1577756015330.png
    1577756015330.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 170
There are a number of items that aren’t on their web pages. Things such as big lathes, Bison 4 jaw chucks for example. The best thing you can do is call and talk to Matt. Tell him what you are looking for.....

The only hidden machine I am aware of is the PM940M-CNC, but I read somewhere on forum that it's no longer being sold. Not sure if that was or is still true, however.

They're not really hidden. Sometimes new models just haven't had a page created for them yet even though they may be for sale already. And as bakrch stated some could be discontinued (taken down from the index but actually still exist) as well as some models not actually planned to be a regular offering. Also many of the accessories they carry were never on the website.

It was like this back when they had 2 separate websites. Before the website you see now, Matt used to have 2 websites, one QMT & the other PM. Back then QMT was the primary website & the PM one was always a work in progress.

I did check their web page under Bench Type Mills and the PM-728VT does show up as well as the new PM-833TV. Cant figure out why one is a VT and the other is a TV though. If I was space limited, the PM-833TV would be the bench top mill I would be most interested in. If on a budget the PM-728VT. Before I moved up to a full size knee, I had a variable speed bench mill with 3 gear ranges, very wide speed range and ability. Unfortunately the quality was lacking with some significant defects, some which were never corrected by the manufacturer (such as metric lead screws with imperial dials, which made it useless w/o a DRO). Worth buying better made machines with a warranty/service.

As far as machine accessories, many are not listed on the QMT site, so always worth asking if you are looking for specific items.

Cant figure out why one is a VT and the other is a TV though.
I bet it has to do with what came first. For the PM-833TV, it is a variable speed version of the PM-833T. So they simply added the V to the name to indicate the variable speed.

For the PM-728VT, it is an updated and upgraded version of the PM-727V, and also made in Tiawan. So they added the T at the end.

Back