High Quality Taps and Dies

I've been very happy with YG-1 spiral flute bottoming taps. They cut far easier than any other taps I've used. I have some of the taps from Lowes and Home depot, they are okay. Don't even consider Harbor Freight, those are worthless. I had a set from years ago before I knew better.

I decided to skip the sets and just order high quality for a few common sizes I use frequently as needed. I tend to spend about $15/ea. I find myself picking fasteners based on the taps I own. :) Not always possible, but it works frequently.

I haven't had any luck with dies. I single point external threads, perhaps running a die for a final pass depending on the requirements.

It can be frustrating to have to wait for taps in the mail when I need to order them. But I'm a hobby user so time isn't that big of a deal and I usually have something else to do while I wait. If you have Prime, Amazon has a surprising amount of decent tooling with 2 day shipping. With a little planning, I can usually order at the start of the project and have them when I need them.

I have 2 Craftsman sets. The standard set is over 40 years old. However I do have quality taps in my most used sizes. In fact on the smaller ones I keep several sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the big tap set so that you have all the bases covered. Then buy high quality taps and dies for the most commonly used sizes. Then figure out a way to store them all so you know what you have. I hate waiting 3 or 4 days for a tap to arrive so I usually end up ordering from McMaster-Carr and have it the next day.

Back