VN High Speed Sub Head

This week has been all about restoring the High Speed Universal Subhead.

Got my tool to remove the adjustment nuts made & had to modify a spanner to fit 5/16" pin holes. The spanner now fits the collet retainer. This was needed to provide resistance while removing the adjustment nuts from both the mount section & the elbow section inputs.

20190608 08.jpg

The mount section is simple with only a bevel gear with internally splined shaft.

20190604 03.jpg

It is mounted on large roller bearings. Gear mesh is adjusted with babbit coated brass shims.

20190604 02.jpg

So, the 1st section was restored quickly. Gear mesh was dialed in & this part was set aside (along with VN 24 sump housings).

20190606 06.jpg

The elbow was really more of the same as it too is really just a couple of bevel gears on a shaft with large roller bearings etc. I didn't like how this nut area in the forefront looked. So, I'm using my head porting skills to smooth it out.

20190608 02.jpg

Still onward & upward. Here is the main head getting ready for rebuild.

20190608 04.jpg

20190608 07.jpg

More to come.

This is the main housing cover, as seen on the left side of the last pic above. I wanted to highlight the casting number, but it is too crude. It reads
V.N.M.T. CO.
12 - 718

20190608 09.jpg

This casting, by modern standards did some unexpected shrinking - or else they would've chosen a different way to mark it. As far as machining it to size: It's good! Somehow, this ID was simply part of the mold. By the 50s auto manufacturers (in America) were doing the opposite impression of such ID's. I can't help but wonder if Van Norman slowly slipped behind the times. American Politics had to suck for them as evidenced by all manufacturing of this type having long since been moved overseas with very few exceptions.

It's the same part for all sizes: Up to you to have the correct mount to fit it to your mill.

Progress! 2 portions completed, ready & joined together. 360 degree rotation is smooth. Gear mesh is spot on & bearings are good.

20190613 01.jpg

The handle came to me Orange. Since all period pics are B&W, I cannot say if this is stock. So, I went with HEMI Orange!

20190613 02.jpg

Now it's on to the complicated portion. Looks like the housing will be a good place to start.

20190613 06.jpg

20190613 05.jpg

Last edited:
Another Garlock Klozure seal on the lower end of the ram. I emailed my local Garlock rep for replacements & no word. The top seal was bad. I replaced it with a seal like the ones used on the crank snout of an engine. This lower seal is intact, so we'll see if it performs as expected soon enough.

20190614 02.jpg

Not gonna watch paint dry on the housing.

20190614 07.jpg

Cleaning up internals instead. The spindle has a brass looking coating where it rides in the bearings. Any idea of what that is? I'd like to use it again on reassembly.

20190614 06.jpg

Another pic of the outer portion of the ram.

20190614 03.jpg

There aren't any seals provided for this. No need to polish it then.

Last edited:
The ram drive is installed. Here the preload on the bearings is set using a home made spanner & a center punch. Not sure if the 2 opposing holes serve any other purpose.

20190615 01.jpg

Rotary motion is applied to this section of the drive & transfers that motion via the splined inside portion on to the ram section that includes the linear up & down adjustment. In other words this portion only spins.

The ram is going back together here. The collet retainer has been soaking in Metal Rescue. Same as Evaporust chemically speaking. It's not that the retainer was rusty at all. It's just that leaving parts in the soak for a week blackens them!

20190615 02.jpg

Taking some pics with only 2 hands limits my ability to accurately express what is happening. The modified, to fit 5/16 holes, spanner is used to set the preload on the spindle while the pry bar keeps the nut stationary. As I thought more about the brass surface that rides inside the bearings on this portion, I wondered if this was similar to a Speedi Sleeve. Since run out is around a thou, I'll tackle that once it becomes an issue.

Now seeing how it all fits together & operates, there shouldn't be any reason to break the whole thing down again. The ram simply adjusts down until it drops out. The limit screw & handle prevents this, unless the limit nuts & handle are removed.

Last edited:
So, I checked my questionable National oil seal on the shaft & it was good. Now for the housing portion or outside fitment, it was either a version that practically jumped into the bore / recess or this 1. Put it in the freezer for 2 hrs before trying it. Very disappointed as 1 side mushroomed out. So, I grabbed a square punch & played body man to suck the side back in & rammed it home. Wear from this seal will be expanded over a wider area than the typical groove. Better? Time will tell.

20190615 03.jpg

Still have a few parts to clean up - but getting there! Oh, in other news, since the Garlock rep has ignored me? I applied for his job!

Just waiting on a few bolts to arrive & it's complete. Rare view under the cover to see how it operates.

20190616 01.jpg

Can I join the party?

I bought the sub-head off eBay in the spring time for $1250 shipped. Over the past few months I went through a similar process as Brockwood.

Still working on the adapter to work with my VN no10.

Attachments

• C394B7A8-90CB-4E94-8BE4-B48744AC4BF9.jpeg
    C394B7A8-90CB-4E94-8BE4-B48744AC4BF9.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
  • A9ECC224-CEAC-406F-A6E4-7C1C675763B6.jpeg
    A9ECC224-CEAC-406F-A6E4-7C1C675763B6.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 21
Looking good Manderioli! What size tool holders fit your mill spindle? I'm glad for the type of spline drive I have since it fits a standard size tool holders. I just have to cut the shoulder down on the holder for a good fit.

Back