Highly Questionable Business Practices ??

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had a strange thing happen to me today, for years I been using carbide end mills, made in the Springfield, Massachusetts area, by Titan USA. I’ve been very happy with the fact they are made in the Northeast and work great. Last week I placed and order for 20 end mills of various sizes, I was informed this morning they were here, so I ventured to the supplier. There was my order, all the correct sizes, styles and coatings, but they were a different unknown brand. Never asking if I’d accept a supplier change.

When I questioned the supplier about the brand switch, they told me that Titan USA had gone out of business and that the brand they got was a good alternative. Well this did not set well with me, especially since I was talking to a Titan USA rep about an hour before I placed the order, looking for some technical information. So I knew what they were saying was total BS, so I cancelled the order. They were highly miffed and as I was walking out the door, I permanently severed my business relationship with them, they were even more miffed, as while not a huge customer, I spend somewhere between $10k to $15k/yr.

I called Titan USA, asked a few questions and got the name of a different local supplier, a company I already do business with. I asked the supplier about ordering end mills from Titan, they asked what I wanted, I gave them a written list, about 5 minutes later was told, the order would be shipped out this afternoon and be shipped directly to the shop.

As I was writing this, the original supplier called to try to repair our relationship, I told him it was way too late, as I had paid my account balance about 20 minutes before, and would never do business with them again, as long as I live. All over a $300 end mill order.

I have an exceedingly low tolerance for BS, I did not quibble about pricing, wanting a local supplier, always paid my bill, on time, depending on the item needed, rarely looked elsewhere, but when blatantly lie to, to pass off a different product, my limit had been reached.

Last edited:
Without getting into war story trading, I hear you, been there, and agree 100%.

Wow, that's some pretty low behaviour. I would have reacted exactly the same.

Wow! They did not think that one could easily check the status of Titan or any other maker and be caught in a lie, and not be called out? Would of been better to tell you up front that they were changing suppliers and asked what you wanted to do. Even offer to supply a couple tools for you to try out. We have supplied part samples for customers to try out first, in fact did just that today. Sometimes it is successful, especially if the customer is trying to engineer their product. We will suggest that they are good with what we supply and times we suggest that they should look at an alternative that we know will work better.

I hear you! My experience, is a salesman will tell you anything you want to hear. Until an order is placed!
Cheers
Martin

The original seller called me twice today, I did not bother to answer, caller ID is great............

My mother said "If you do business with a crook, then you're a crook". Good advice.

No reason to be associated with a business that operates that way, It will hurt your reputation.

When you're placing an order, giving you reasons you should try another manufacturer is marginally OK. To lie to you after the fact when the product is being handed over the counter is just wrong. They'll lose ten times more business from bad word-of-mouth than they'd have profited from the lie.

Having said that, was it one of the owners lying to your face? Maybe it was just a counter guy who was being paid off in contraband. Do you think it's worth the effort to talk to the owner? Perhaps he's fired the scumbag and just wants another chance to prove to you they've fixed the problem.

jack vines

Yep, the owner and his kid, the heir apparent........

Back