Hilco Model 2

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought this little universal cutter grinder and can't find anything about it on the interwebs. Motor is a Dumore Type 2GM which I also can't locate.

hilcoModel2.jpeg

The machine is pretty simple so I don't think I really need any manuals or the like but it would be nice to know a little history.
Hilco seems to be a tool auction house now BTW, don't know if it's the same company .

Looks like just the thing for sharpening straight flute reamers :) possibly even endmills too

Yep, that's what the guy I bought it from said, I put a reamer in between the centers and it will definitely work for that. I need to figure out what wheels to buy for it, it has an 3/8' arbor and the motor is rated at 7000 rpm. Any ideas for safe economical wheels are appreciated.

John

don't take this the wrong way but-
you sir-
SUCK

i'm easily hooked by shiny, and odd equipment of many flavors.
you got a very cool grinder and envy wouldn't really be the best description but we'll leave it at that
you luck dog! :cautious: :grin: :congratulate:

you will never go wrong with norton wheels

I found that 3" cutoff wheels I use on my air die grinder will fit, don't know if they'll be any good though. I've looked on the Norton website but didn't see anything suitable, will have to contact a distributor and tell them what I'm looking for. I did find another website that offered a wheel in the right size so I sent them a message to find out what RPM it's rated for.

Opened up the motor tonight and fixed some broken wires, all went back together and it's running with only a little crunchiness. Also sent a request to Dumore for info on the motor.

I can see making a few different attachments for the table so I could use it as a simple surface grinder, all in all I'm happy with it for $150. The guy who sold it to me is a pretty vigorous 80-year-old who recognizes he won't be around forever and wants to pare down while he can. He builds custom fly fishing rods (really nice ones) and has a bunch of machines he's modified to shape bamboo with. Good talking with him....

Cheers,

John

I downloaded the original patent documents and am working on a replica of the drill/milling cutter fixture, updated to use an ER32 collet chuck of course....

grind1.jpeg

grind2.jpeg

grind3.jpeg

Matthew, that looks very nice. Have you tried it out yet?

I found your post today because a member over on another forum showed off their universal-angle machinist vise made by Berco Manufacturing Co. of Chicago. I'm one of the historians on VintageMachinery dot org so I did some research on Berco, which I'd never heard of before. In researching the vise I found some short articles from 1943 announcing its introduction. They mentioned that the device was primarily intended for use on the Hilco universal cutter grinder. Hilco, never heard of them either. But when I researched Hilco cutter grinders I learned that that product had been introduced in 1942 by Berco Manufacturing Co. of Chicago.

Here's a picture of the vise:
98BAFAED-1715-4167-A3C4-C0FA159B4BC0.jpeg

I created a VintageMachinery Manufacturers Index entry for Berco and linked back here to your post on your Hilco cutter grinder. There is very little information to be found on Berco, their vise and their Hilco grinder but what little is to be found is, I hope, all gathered up in one place now.

Jeff J.

Hi,

Thanks for adding the listing, yep, I couldn't find anything about the company or their products online when I searched either. Now there's at least something out there and I have another project to start:grin:

I did see the vise on OWWM but didn't make a connection, thanks for finding it and posting over here too.

Cheers,

John

Back