Hlv-h Non Running Project. Part1 Clean Up And Tooling

co1859

Registered
Registered
I purchased a $2500 non running 1977 HLV-H w/tooling. After 4 years of searching and looking, finally found the right one. Here are some pictures of before and after. This took 2 months of clean up. April & May 2016. Before I could even start trouble shooting to get it running.

Hardinge HLV-H A.JPG

Hardinge HLV-H B.JPG

1 Hardinge HLV-H as purchased.JPG

hardinge HLV-H clean up 019.JPG
Varnish, metal dust and dirt was very thick on the lathe, cleaned most off before thinking of pictures.

Hardinge HLV-H tooling 004.JPG
Lots of tooling

Hardinge HLV-H tooling 005.JPG

hardinge HLV-H C.JPG
flaking was a surprise.

Hardinge HLV-H Clean.JPG
Finally; It's clean enough to start Trouble Shooting and Researching Electrical. If you are interested in this introduction part 1, Hit the like so I know,

I would like share this learning process from a non running HLV-H.
Thinking of a extra post for Electrical Requirements.

Please Note; I will not have ALL the answers. Just the ones I fixed on this machine. This project still requires self study, research and reading Machinist forums.
co1859

Last edited:

co1859

Registered
Registered
Electrical Requirements

Needs 3 phase power to run. I have a 220 volt single phase line in the garage.
Hardinge Electrical Serial # locations 001.JPG

First; I needed to understand what 3 phase power was all about so I watched U-tube on 3 phase link below
This gave me a general understanding.

Question - How do I get this to run? The internet is full of ideas. The options I looked at.
1)Change the motor to single phase - Not a good choice and lot of modification to the lathe. I wanted to keep it stock.
2) VFD Repower - Needed to rewire control cabinet. To run Spindle motor, Coolant motor, Speed control motor, and Carriage feed motor. beyond my 3 phase skill set.
3) Build a Rotary Phase Converter. (RPC). - listed as EASY on the web - Nope beyond my electrical skill set
4) buy used RPC from C/L - Never found a newer complete working unit.
5) Static phase converter - unsure about it.
6) Purchased a new American Rotary series ADX 10 HP 220 single phase input and 230 volt 3 phase output.
Lesson learned - 10 Hp is over kill for 1.5 HP lathe and future 2 HP milling machine. I only needed a ADX 5 HP unit that would have saved $600 bucks. The good thing is I have clean 3 Phase power to the lathe and worry free.

While waiting for the delivery I was learning about How to test 3 phase motors. I used this link for understanding the process

The motor tested good. And was cleaned
hardinge HLV-H clean up 017.JPG

Removed the "custom" 110 volt outlet from one power leg.
Electric 021 (1).JPG

Loose terminals and improper connections. Like a one single wire " One strand of wire" connection on the 3rd leg before the disconnect. Fixed it all. "so I thought"
Hardinge Electrical Serial # locations 002.JPG

THE BIG DAY - RPC showed up. hooked it up. Plugged in the lathe and NOTHING I MEAN NOTHING NOT EVEN A CLICK. The only thing running was the New ADX RPC and that was quite.

Called Hardinge for a wire diagram KLA 8220 - NO LONGER SUPPORTED.
In June I had a Clean non running HLV-H and a new Oversized Running RPC.
Next post, HLV-H Non Running Project - Part 2 Electrical Trouble shooting./ What was found.

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looking forward to Part 2 :)

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock