Hobby foundry men

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Registered
Hey all; I'm betting I am not the only one here who melts metal, and was wondering if any one here has run across or used
the crucibles available on Bang good, the prices beat the crap out of what is on the U.S. market.
Any info or experience with them would be greatly appreciated.....................

If I am pulling a crucible out of the furnace with a pot full of bronze at about 2250 deg. F (or so) to pour it down close to my feet and legs, I do not to even think whether or not it is likely to break and spill/splash the contents on me, even if I am equipped with complete safety equipment; speaking for myself, I'll stick with US made silicon carbide crucibles. I have done a considerable amount of non ferrous casting over the years, but no longer do so. The consequences of a failure are potentially catastrophic; there is a time when cheap is OK, this is not one of them. Also the choice of cheap, possibly ill fitting and flimsy crucible tongs and pouring shanks fits the same category.

I have only used mica and graphite crucibles which came as army surplus years ago..............The dont last very long with cast iron,but its not often that I do iron anyway............Im not familiar with Chinese stuff,nor with any cut price stuff.......An experienced helper is a very important factor,IMHO....with a sand floor being next.....metal wont splash off sand......and I have a few bad ones over the years.........that barbecued smell gets some funny looks up the hospital waiting room.

I have and use the appropriate safety gear when I pour, I've been making my own crucibles out of iron for Alu.
But I don't want to use iron for bronze as the temp is too close to plastic state for my liking.
As for crucible handling tools I make my stuff heavy duty molten metal is not something I take lightly .

Back