Hobby machinists in south Texas?

SubtleHustle

Registered
Registered
Ok, so I have seen a lot of videos, where hobby machinists discovered others in their area, and have visited and help each other with ideas etc., that said, I have never come across anybody that shares my love of hobby machining. Just curious, if anybody here lives in south Texas. I hail from the San Antonio area. I'm willing to bet that there are more of us, than I realize. Anyways, just thought it'd be interesting to see.

I'm in Austin. I know of at least 2 hobby-machinist in the Austin area.

Just north of Austin in Cedar Park.

I am in Austin, Anderson Mill to be exact, the area bracketed by 620, 183, and Anderson Mill Road.

Get together face to face, guys.

We have a group here in Calif., now up to 31 of us, who have get togethers monthly, and have lots of fun. It is a total success. The real benefit, however, is the face to face help we can get from each other, moving a machine, instruction on how to do something, borrow or lend a tool or the use of a machine, and lots more. The more important stuff happens between the meetings, mostly one on one or in smaller groups. We also do field trips to various places that are interesting to machinists. It is an active and useful group, and the group has fostered many close friendships. We have a private groups.io internet site that serves as a focus for our little group. Nearly all of our members are also H-M members, and that appears to benefit both us and H-M. Our members have also become more active here on H-M because of our group, and we have brought new members to H-M. One of our members is also a H-M staff member.

Send me a PM if I can be of help to get more local groups going among H-M members. They serve an important social and safety need in a hobby that is often solo, lonely, and dangerous, and also helps keep us working smart. It is a definite win/win for all.

A group sounds like a blast! I would deffinately be interested and active, I just wouldn't want to be the one spearheading it. It's not in my wheelhouse, to organize, and coordinate group events. Also, somebody with a lot more knowledge than my self would be a good idea!

A group sounds like a blast! I would deffinately be interested and active, I just wouldn't want to be the one spearheading it. It's not in my wheelhouse, to organize, and coordinate group events. Also, somebody with a lot more knowledge than my self would be a good idea!
Just get some machinists (even just 2) together in the same place, talk about it, and see what happens. If they are interested, the details will work themselves out. Just come with an open mind, no personal agenda, and a willingness to help make it happen. It will work itself out. It will grow all by itself if the focus is on friendly fun, mutual help, and minimal structure.

Back