Hobby metals had a fire....

56type

Registered
Registered
...And my current order with them was canceled as result. Anyone have a source for 12"-18" lengths of metal ?? Seems everywhere I'm looking either doesn't carry anything over 1/2"diameter or they're industrial supply and everything is sold in 36" lengths. Needing some brass round, o-1 drill rod for making some bushings for the endmill holder for Atlas 10100 Mk.2, some aluminium round. Just can't seem to turn up anywhere that offers smaller lengths. All my current projects are small stuff not needing the 3 FT. lengths.Thanks.

Speedy Metals will cut it down to 1 inch if that is all you want. They are not the cheapest but they are convenient, they are set up for online but since they are only a half mile from where I work they are an easy stop on the way home. I have also bought a lot of smaller bars from McMaster Carr, Typically I have it the next day if I order by 5PM.

Online metals offers a 10-12" size at a discount, since it is basically all the cutoff stuff less than a foot long. Works out fairly well for small projects. Shipping can add up though, Hobby metals is nice because of their use of flat rate priority mail packages.

Yep. I have had good luck with seller 6061dude.

Same, ironically I get all my copper from them. My local IMS only sells copper in 3ft lengths & only round bar but everything else they sell in 1ft pre-cuts.

Any word on how bad the fire was? I was hoping to buy from them at the Cabin Fever Expo on January 18.

Any word on how bad the fire was? I was hoping to buy from them at the Cabin Fever Expo on January 18.

No idea on the fire...I had placed an order a few days before and received an email stating it had been cancelled due to a fire on 12/25/'19. It went on to say I was fully refunded for the order. No additional details. Sorry I can't be of more help in that regard.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I just have to find all that I need in one place before ordering.

Back