Hobby milling machine

elewayne

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a milling machine for my hobby use. I have a South Bend 9" lathe. and I 'm looking to purchase a milling machine for no more than $2000. who makes a decent machine for that sort of use and price? New.

"Hobby use" is a bit broad Can you define your hobby work a bit.
Gunsmithing, Toy trains?
Plastic, steel, brass, aluminium
What tolerances do you aim for when machining
Members will chime in with good advice, but if you can clarify it a bit more the advice you get should be relevant

Cheers Phil

For hobby machining, I’ve been really happy with my LMS 5500 bench mill from littlemachineshop.com. It’s basically a SIEG SX2.7 that is modified to LMS’ specs. I see they're currently priced about $1700 + shipping. I’m in no way affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.

Tom

I also would say check out precision Mathews. I purchased their PM 25MV and have been very happy with it. I use to for both hobby work and customer work. It has exceeded my expectations with a machine of this size.

I agree with 12bolts in that a bit more info about what you want to do with the mill would allow the members here to give better suggestions.

At the very least I would suggest a mill that has a similar working envelope to your 9" SB. Not sure that fits in the 'under 2k' realm though.

Are you sure you need new?

Is your budget including necessary (or very useful) accessories? It just for the basic machine, and you will still have budget for accessories?

Any space or weight restrictions?

Bernie

Back