Hobby shop foot ware

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I wear work boots 9-10 hours a day standing on concrete. The first thing I do when I come home is take the boots off and get off of my feet for 1/2 hour to an hour. If you haven't guessed by now, I do have a lot of foot problems and am in need of a second surgery for plantar fasciitis.

After a short rest I usually have the urge to make some chips, so on goes my sneakers. I have my work space lined with comfort mats, which makes the hobby much more enjoyable for me.

I'm getting tired of pulling metal out of my feet from wearing sneakers. I need to come up with something else.

What do you guys wear in the hobby shop?

Shooty

I went to a slip-on Romeo (at least they used to be called Romeos. No laces with the elastic side panel). Nothing drops into the shoe from the top and a fairly benign tread.

-frank

image.jpeg

Shooty, aha, The boots you just took off! Usually wear a pair of Cat steel toe lace boots. Although sometimes go with a good brand of synthetic hiking shoe. I often go a bit of welding. Hot welding sparks go right thru the mesh uppers and burn baby burn when they hit my toes or arch. Only last a few seconds, but you sure know it’s happening.

Often wondered if a nice pair of leather pull ons would work? Yep, the Romero’s shown above. Redwing used to make these. Sold a lot of them in Alaska to guys in the fishing fleet. Casual wear, plus your always working on something while staying on the boat.

Glenn

I was considering motorcycle boots but the soles tend to be pretty hard on those. What did men wear on their feet in the heyday of manual machines?

I have 3 pairs of foot wear I wear regularly. Boots for work, (likely much the same as yours) mine or kodiac for their light weight. Same, 10-12 hours in boots. I wear just regular flat sole shoes out and about and Walmart gray skate shoes in the garage/shop. Soles are flat and worn out. Chips get stuck and melt into the soles. I just sweep where I'm standing then grind my feet on the floor till most of the loose chips are out. But, those shoes stay in the garage... I kick them off one foot at a time as I step in the door. They never come inside lest I hear the wife... (THERES THOSE STUPID METAL CURLY THINGS IN THR BEDROOM AGAIN, SHAWN....!!)

I was considering motorcycle boots but the soles tend to be pretty hard on those. What did men wear on their feet in the heyday of manual machines?
Would depend very much on the boot, a good M/Cycle boot with a good inner sole, like scholl orthaheel. I can wear mine all day while walking around.

In the heyday of manual machines, As an apprentice in the 60's we mostly wore ripple sole desert boots, it was the fashion, had nothing to do with safety, but they were comfortable. Most of the older guys just wore normal every day shoes, usually when their best dress shoes got replaced the older ones would become work shoes.

These days I wear nike sneakers just not my best ones. have to be careful when welding though.

I started out wearing Red Wing Irish Setter lace up boots with the foam type sole; chips cut them up pretty bad, had them resoled several times and still wear them when I am running the engines at Sturgeon's Sawmill, these boots are over 60 years old; Then the company I worked for, Kaiser Steel, decided that all in the shop should wear steel toe boots; they nearly crippled me, had no proper arch; then after leaving the company, I started wearing tennis shoes, each time I wore a pair out, I'd get a different pair that had a higher arch and finally settled on a pair with leather uppers and rubber soles; yes, chips would cut into them, but not a huge problem, I wore them until after retirement, then started wearing sandals, with socks if there might be hot chips! For welding I go back to the boots. I find with the sandals, I can be on my feet perhaps twice the time without undue discomfort. Yes, I am quite careful about dropping things, or perhaps not dropping things.

Back