Hobby shop foot ware

I won't wear steel caps, don't mind hard caps, but not steel they cut toes off too easily. When I worked as a marine engineer the company made a new rule "we had to wear steel caps. It wasn't long before the first toes got cut off, then some more. They changed the rule to hard caps pretty quick.
'

I wear work boots 9-10 hours a day standing on concrete. The first thing I do when I come home is take the boots off and get off of my feet for 1/2 hour to an hour. If you haven't guessed by now, I do have a lot of foot problems and am in need of a second surgery for plantar fasciitis.

After a short rest I usually have the urge to make some chips, so on goes my sneakers. I have my work space lined with comfort mats, which makes the hobby much more enjoyable for me.

I'm getting tired of pulling metal out of my feet from wearing sneakers. I need to come up with something else.

What do you guys wear in the hobby shop?

Shooty

If you are having surgery to correct plantar fasciitis, I hope you've thoroughly exhausted all the more conservative treatments.

Would depend very much on the boot, a good M/Cycle boot with a good inner sole, like scholl orthaheel. I can wear mine all day while walking around.

In the heyday of manual machines, As an apprentice in the 60's we mostly wore ripple sole desert boots, it was the fashion, had nothing to do with safety, but they were comfortable. Most of the older guys just wore normal every day shoes, usually when their best dress shoes got replaced the older ones would become work shoes.

These days I wear nike sneakers just not my best ones. have to be careful when welding though.

My favourite Motorcycle boots are Rossi A small Australian family owned business still making in Australia when most others including Blundstone have gone overseas, (Asia) The Rossi boots are all leather uppers, vulcanised oil proof rubber sole, fully waterproof, long lasting, My last pair lasted for about 12 years and I do a lot of miles. Most importantly they are extremely comfortable, from day 1. I keep the old ones for welding, and other similar jobs.

I get a $200 shoe allowance from my employer on July 1st. Our guidelines for foot ware leave a lot of options for us. It states only that we must have ankle support. I could probably get away with some light weight hiking boots, but with all of the cutting, welding, grinding, and moving heavy objects at work makes me stick with work boots for work. I can easily get 2 years+ out of a pair of boots, so I can buy anything that is within our contract (ankle support). So, come July I'm getting something good for my feet! But what?

You guys here are great, and no trolls!
Thanks!

If you are having surgery to correct plantar fasciitis, I hope you've thoroughly exhausted all the more conservative treatments.
Plantar fasciitis is controllable. I worked on my feet all day, all the time, no breaks, no sitting, for nearly all my adult life. I had horrible problems with it, wanted to scream out loud. Following the exercises that were given me, religiously, and wearing proper footwear, got me nearly back to normal. Now that I am retired, I have no problems at all, because I am not on my feet all day, every day. I would have quit my job before I had surgery for plantar fasciitis.

Yes the surgery is awful. I did a double back in o9. My doctor said that I was nuts for wanting to do both but I chose to be out from work for 30 days instead of 60 days to do them separately. If I needed both done again it would definitely be one at a time.

I've been doing exercises for it and it is helping. Resting works the best, but that doesn't happen.

I won't wear steel caps, don't mind hard caps, but not steel they cut toes off too easily. When I worked as a marine engineer the company made a new rule "we had to wear steel caps. It wasn't long before the first toes got cut off, then some more. They changed the rule to hard caps pretty quick.
'
The TV show Mythbusters covered the "steel toe boot-toe amputation" debate. They found, While it is possible to have ones toes cut off by the steel insert, the force of the impact required to do so would have completely destroyed the toes anyway. The conclusion was, Steel toed boots effectively lessened smaller impacts that could have caused severe injury. You are much better of with them than without.

The TV show Mythbusters covered the "steel toe boot-toe amputation" debate. They found, While it is possible to have ones toes cut off by the steel insert, the force of the impact required to do so would have completely destroy the toes anyway. The conclusion was, Steel toed boots effectively lessened smaller impacts that could have caused severe injury. You are much better of with them than without.
Yes I've heard that. They have also proved a number of things don't work, that actually do ,and proved things that do work that don't work very often They play the game of probability very well to make a tv show. I'll take my chances without the steel thanks.

When I was working the company had a guy come around twice a year in a shoe truck, and they paid for the safety shoes you bought. I don't remember the name of the shoe company, but they sold steel toed sneakers, and it was like walking on air. I still use them in the shop though I really don't need to just because they're so comfortable standing in front of a machine.

In the last decade, I've been thru 2 pairs of Worx 5266, side-zipper boots. http://mpshoes.com/product/worx-5266-mens-6-inch-boot-black/ The first pair lasted 7 years and I'm on the year 3 of the second pair.

The tops are all leather so, whenever I'm welding or during the colder seasons, I wear these.

If I'm just out in the shop doing small piece machining, I just wear a ratty pair of gym shoes.

I also had/have issues with plantar fasciitis and also had hallux cheilectomy surgery which was very successful. After 3 years of limping and ice-packs to keep the swelling down, I went for the surgery. Had it on a Friday and walked to work on Monday. I work at a huge facility and the trip between vehicle and office is 3/8 mile. Took about 3 months for the bone to heal and was able to slowly start jogging again afterward.

Ray

Back