Hobby shop foot ware

I wear tennis shoes with a HIGH arch everywhere I go. Feet feel fine. In the shop I’m always being mindful that I have no steel toe covering. If that means anything…Dave

I wear steel lined work boots 10-16 hours a day standing on concrete 5-6 days a week on work, i wear them down and change them every 9 months, so when i come home i wear the lights old shoes i have, i only avid wearing sandals as jumping around to avoid flying chips is not fun.

Glad you asked this question, Shooty.

I am actually in the process of trying to find a good set of practical boots/shoes to wear in the shop. My ankle high hiking lace-ups are about worn out, and shavings get caught in the soles and laces all the time.

I found these Blundstone 585 boots on the internet and was contemplating putting out an APB here on Hobby-Machinist. Would love to hear some feedback on these, or any other suggestions, from some of you more seasoned veterans.

Regards,
Terry

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120...6794&feat=506794-GN2&csp=f&attrValue_0=Rustic Brown

spacer.gif

307401_530_41

307401_530_41

One day I expect I will regret it but I wear crocs. Very comfy, no sweating, no stinky feet, easy on and off.
Occasionally a chip will fall into the holes but surprisingly not very often. swarf does penetrate the sole sometimes but not before its felt and removed.
welding takes a bit of thought first to prevent the hot sparks.
Far better than traditional aussie safety boots though thongs.jpg

I do wear full coverage leather boots and long overalls when casting though.

Glad you asked this question, Shooty.

I am actually in the process of trying to find a good set of practical boots/shoes to wear in the shop. My ankle high hiking lace-ups are about worn out, and shavings get caught in the soles and laces all the time.

I found these Blundstone 585 boots on the internet and was contemplating putting out an APB here on Hobby-Machinist. Would love to hear some feedback on these, or any other suggestions, from some of you more seasoned veterans.

Regards,
Terry

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120...6794&feat=506794-GN2&csp=f&attrValue_0=Rustic Brown

spacer.gif

307401_530_41

307401_530_41

I'm giving some thought to the similar Redbacks I posted above for around the house work boots instead of painting, staining, scuffing and otherwise maltreating my daily wear boots.

Dual purpose as they should be quick to throw on like slippers to walk the dog, take out the trash etc, better protection for my feet and will keep my daily boots / shoes looking nicer.

This is what I usually wear in my shop doesn't matter what I'm doing... Welding, Plasma Cutting, angle grinding, running the Bridgeport, or throwing chips with the South Bend, about 80% on the time I'm wear my off brand crocs.

GetFileAttachment.jpg

I have a life philosophy that if I can't live my life in sandals, shorts and a comfy short sleeve shirt I have strayed from the straight and narrow and need to reevaluate what I am doing wrong. Do whatever it takes to get my life back in order. I should also offer that after hiking the John Muir Trail a while back I can no longer wear any type of closed toe shoe for more than a couple of hours. So I wear sandals. My son works for Reef Sandals and he keeps me supplied. I don't make lots of chips and keep my work area fairly clean. Have not had a problem so far.

That's some dedication wearing crocks while welding!
This is what I usually wear in my shop doesn't matter what I'm doing... Welding, Plasma Cutting, angle grinding, running the Bridgeport, or throwing chips with the South Bend, about 80% on the time I'm wear my off brand crocs.

View attachment 270244

My sketchers have been working out for me. Their comfort is only second to my crocks, but I would never do any welding in my crocks! The closed non vented design of the sketchers has kept everything unwanted off of my feet. Plantar fasciitis will always be a problem for me, but if I am smart it may be manageable, we'll see.
Thanks to all for all of the great replies!
John (Aka Shooty)

For standing on concrete, or any other hard surface all day, have some custom orthotic inserts made. insurance will cover them.

They built me some made from cork in a synthetic binder. Solved all my issues with foot and back pain.

I tried more boots than I care to think about trying to solve the problem. Now I'm running some composite toe Red Wings with these orthotics. Light weight and I can stand on concrete for 14 hours with no issues. They don't have to come off the moment I walk in the house anymore.

Back