DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Saw this massive beast tonight.
13” swing, ~30” between centers.
d220f03ffacf81abc6ba8e350d0fd274.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooooo..... did you take it home? ;) And nice chuck! ;)

Sooooo..... did you take it home? ;) And nice chuck! ;)
Yup, I popped that bad boy into the back of my GMC Canyon and the axles promptly shot across the parking lot!
I wish, it was a real beauty!.
I bought a set of bore gauges from a fellow who manages a machine shop at a research facility. He's got a line on a Maximat :)

Last edited:
Very nice. When you get the chance, please post more pictures.
A Maximat vs a Holbrook - you'd need to melt down quite a few Maxi's get enough metal for a 13" Holbrook.

I'd love to play around with a heavy pattern machine - even if it was slow and old (I'm starting to say that is quite okay - I try not to take it personally).

I went to buy a set of bore gauges and the fellow showed me around the shop. Sorry it's the only picture I have.
Told me that when a previous shop manager took over he went on a cleaning blitz. And threw out the original collet drawbar for the Holbrook because he didn't know what it was for. Now they can't get one so they have to make one.

Last edited:
Looks like a very accurate lathe.
Very nice
Cheers
Martin

The Holbrook had a very cool feature for external single point threading.
On the cross slide was a lever that when moved, backed the cutter away from the work to reverse back. Move it back and the cutter is back at the prior depth ready to be advanced for the next pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hardinge HLV has the same feature, works for internal and external threads.

Greg

The Hardinge HLV has the same feature, works for internal and external threads.

Greg
For my own learning, if the lever pulls the tool toward the operator, how does that work for internal threads?

Back