Hold down bolt placement on full size mill table?

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I am making an angle plate for a 10" rotary table. If I could mount it and leave it on the table would it be ok to use the short slots between the coolant well and the hand crank? Would I be risking a pullout on the table?
Thanks
1546809199560364868578.jpg

Do you have the machine bolted down? I would be concerned that the whole machine would tip over if a weight was placed on end then the table traversed to its far extreme.

Yes , you may do so
No, you will not break the T-slots

If a bridgeport type knee mill with a rotating ram and you were to rotate the ram, extend it fully, run the table to its maximum travel, add a 300 Lb rotary table and a 300 Lb part you may tip it over or not. This is the perfect storm.

Otherwise have at it.

Its a Clausing Kondia fv1. It weighs just over 3000lbs so tipping is not a concern. I may not even like it there if it is in the way all of the time. I just didn't know if I was asking for trouble with the t-slots.
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

You would not risk breaking the table, because the rotary table is snug against the table, so there is little or no force upwards on the slot. Having said that, I will also say that every time that I have left something on the end of the table, I find that it is in the way and end up pulling it off. If weight of the rotary table is the reason for leaving it on, I would (and did rig up a tramrail and hoist over the table to remove heavy fixtures to a storage spot.

I do have a crane mounted on the mill where the slotting attatchment mount is. The 10" rt with a thick 10" 4 jaw on it is rediculessly heavy.

The biggest cause of broken T-slots as far as I've seen is homemade T-nuts that have not been staked to stop the studs or bolts extending through the bottom. Some serious Tonnage can be developed cranking down on a bolt.

Slots are there to be used. the "what ever you have clamped to your table will ALWAYS get in the way, eventually.
10 years time, you may have a sort of BEST position, but only for a while!
Me, never thought of the end..... Always learning.

Back