Hold down clamping kits

I have a small number of clamps but do most of my work with a vise probably because that is easiest and it is what I have available, rather than the best choice.

I have been thinking about getting a clamping set recently, and have had similar questions so your timing is great. Thank you for asking this, it is a good question.

One thing that aggravates me with cheap sets is that the studs usually don't have a flat milled in the middle. When you have to remove or replace the stud you have to put two nuts on the stud to get it out or be willing to deform the threads with pliers, it drives me nuts. Better sets have flats on all but the smallest of studs and it does make a difference. Fit and finish is also a differentiator. When the difference between a junk set and a really good one is a hundred bucks, it seems like false economy to go cheap.

My 1980's Taiwan built 8 x 32 MSC knee mill has 9/16 wide slots, so bought an Enco set that size when I bought the mill. While the t-nuts fit the 9/16 table slot, the base of them did not fit the bottom of the tee slot (too thick and too wide). I milled them down to fit with a carbide end mill, and have used them ever since.

Make sure you measure all the dimensions of your slots, and then hope the advertised kit dimensions are as stated.

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of good advice! I have been thinking and I think that I am going to make a few t nuts for the time being. I have figured out how to clamp my parts down for the time being now. I will see how my ideas work while I make some more money and then I will decide on a clamping set.
Thanks again!
Gene

I have not had the problem Mikey said, but I can see where it would be annoying. The $50 cheap set I have could easily take milling some slots in the studs. The steel feels soft. You do get what you pay for. My set sits there and collects dust. I have used it maybe 3-4 times in 3 years. With that said, I just used it 4 times in 24 hours. Holding awkward assemblies for modifications. Hopefully it is back under the bench for a while. As I stated above, I am making my own tee nuts for small studs to take smaller holders that I am making. For me that will get much more use then big 1/2" stud holders.

To me the clamp kit is like home insurance. Stays in the background, but when you need it, you need it.

Well, not on his first post anyways. :p
One thing that aggravates me with cheap sets is that the studs usually don't have a flat milled in the middle. When you have to remove or replace the stud you have to put two nuts on the stud to get it out or be willing to deform the threads with pliers, it drives me nuts.

Ha , don't you love it when the guy before you grabs them with vise grips ? :face slap:

I bought a set with 1/2 inch studs when I bought the mill, pushing 20 years ago. They get used quite a bit, Taiwan I imagine, no flats on the studs but I've never had a nut or T-nut that didn't spin off by hand once loosened with the wrench. I have a few 3/8th clamps with mostly cap screws for the tooling plate. And picked up a used set of Do-All with 5/8th studs for the shaper and holding things down on the T-slot table when welding or beating bent things back into tolerance. Think those ones have flats but have never used them.

Greg

Yet another area where you pay a premium to be different. I'm finding far fewer options in 7/16" and 9/16" than 1/2" or 5/8", and often more expensive as well.

It looks like when I get around to getting one of these sets I may be best served finding a 1/2" set with 3/8" studs and buying or making the T-slot nuts so I can use one set with both mills.

Back