• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Holding An MT4 in the spindle on an old South Bend 13"

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hello,
I popped in my MT4 ER40 chuck yesterday. It fit very good, I used a piece of wood to pop it back out of the spindle. The spindle is a 1" through hole with the 1 7/8 8TPI.
My challenge is to adapt a draw bar of sorts to hold on to the MT4 chuck.
Has anyone done this project yet?
I am thinking i can screw the draw bar in the already drilled hole in the tang of the chuck. I could make up a thick bushing/washer with a centering ring, that contacts the open end of the spindle.
I have a 1941, single gear box 13" South Bend.
Will it work?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

dlane

Active User
That should work, what size threads are in the mt4 ?. I used 1/2” allthread for an old 12” craftsman lathe I had to hold a er40 chuck in it , worked good

Janderso

hmm, not sure. I am surprised at some of the stuff we get out of Asia, some of the threads/fastners are Imperial.
I'll check it out when I get home.

pacifica

RGL
Something like this:

pacifica

RGL
disadvantage is no through hole :apologize:

Janderso

Something like this:
That's what I had in mind. !!!! Thank you
Regarding no through hole, yeah, but I am still pondering sourcing one. A nice fellow you may know, Bob Korves, has volunteered to steer me in the right direction.
As we speak I have a piece of 4" Dura-Bar on UPS. It may be used for the backing plate for one of those ER40 3 hole (to mount the thing) chucks that mount to rotary tables, make your own backing plates or the D-1 version.

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]