Holding An MT4 in the spindle on an old South Bend 13"

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I popped in my MT4 ER40 chuck yesterday. It fit very good, I used a piece of wood to pop it back out of the spindle. The spindle is a 1" through hole with the 1 7/8 8TPI.
My challenge is to adapt a draw bar of sorts to hold on to the MT4 chuck.
Has anyone done this project yet?
I am thinking i can screw the draw bar in the already drilled hole in the tang of the chuck. I could make up a thick bushing/washer with a centering ring, that contacts the open end of the spindle.
I have a 1941, single gear box 13" South Bend.
Will it work?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
That should work, what size threads are in the mt4 ?. I used 1/2” allthread for an old 12” craftsman lathe I had to hold a er40 chuck in it , worked good

hmm, not sure. I am surprised at some of the stuff we get out of Asia, some of the threads/fastners are Imperial.
I'll check it out when I get home.

Something like this:

That's what I had in mind. !!!! Thank you
Regarding no through hole, yeah, but I am still pondering sourcing one. A nice fellow you may know, Bob Korves, has volunteered to steer me in the right direction.
As we speak I have a piece of 4" Dura-Bar on UPS. It may be used for the backing plate for one of those ER40 3 hole (to mount the thing) chucks that mount to rotary tables, make your own backing plates or the D-1 version.

Last edited:
Back