Holding Knurled Stock In A Lathe

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
I knurled some stock last night with my new Shars scissor knurling tool, and the tool has some side to side play in it, so it actually pulled the piece out of concentricity while doing so. The knurl turned out well, but it spun wobbly after that. I would like to flip it around, hold on to the knurled part, and turn the remainder of the stock concentric with the knurled section. However, in my tests, the chuck marred the knurling, as I am using 6061. I tried some .003 brass shim stock, but it still crushed the knurling. Any ideas how to hold it? I don't have a collet chuck, and the piece is too big for a standard 5C or R8 collet anyway.

On a related note, I think I will always knurl with a live center in the tailstock to avoid this issue from now on...

My vote is for a Thick gasket paper or, if the part deserves, a dedicated collet

Hi Ripthorn,

Do you mean the knurling wheels had side-to-side play?
I would first check that the knurling tool is actually on centre. If it was not, it might try to force the work up or down and actually bend it.

Although the clamp type knurling tools are much more forgiving than the type you just press into the work. The live centre is a good idea for knurling anything sticking out of the chuck more than one diameter. A fixed steady or follower rest could also be used.

The only suggestion I have for holding onto a knurled part is with a collet chuck. Depending on the lathe spindle and the size of the work piece you could get an ER-32 or ER-50 collet system like these:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/bigchuck.php
For only a few parts it may not make sense, but I find I use my ER-32 collets very often.

I was going to suggest a heavy paper wrap over the knurls, but it might not be better than the brass you already tried.

-brino

Last edited:
Might want to step back and review your original set up.
A scissor style tool should not push the work off center. I also use the Shars knurling tool and have not had this issue with it.
If this turns out to be a bell mouthed chuck, keep that in mind when running at higher RPM. You don't want to lose any teeth when something comes out of the chuck.

I use 0.010" brass shims for protecting work. Never had any luck with the thinner stuff. Never tried to protect a knurl in 6061 though. 0.010" does work fine on steel knurls

+1 on the split sleeve or a piece of split tubing of appropriate diameter.

David

Thanks for all the info guys. I had a realization that a bump center might be able to help some as well, in terms of regaining my concentricity of the knurled side. Have any of you fine people used one before? I was able to just fiddle around and get it concentric enough for what I am doing. I'm just making some knobs for my guitar that I'm building, so tolerances are pretty loose by the standards of those here.

A split sleeve is a good idea. I would probably also do well with a collet chuck, as I turn lots of smaller diameter stuff. I will look into these on future projects.

A couple of things you may consider.
1. I did not have much success in holding smaller knurled knobs/round stock in a 3J, both from a being able to hold it and keeping it parallel when the piece was short (like 1/2" or shorter). A 4J usually has coarser jaws that mar up the knurl, 6J would be better in distributing the load if you have the $$$. I had problems with the pieces shifting when turning and not being able to hold the piece parallel to the chuck face in my 3J. I do not have this problem with a collet system, and I do a lot of small items where less than 1/4" is being held in the collet.

2. I use brown paper bag cut in strips to wrap around delicate pieces, usually one layer in a collet type holder, 2 or 3 layers at each jaw on a 3J or 4J. Do not use masking tape, the piece is guaranteed to twist and move with tape. Brown paper shopping bag material lightly compresses and has a high frictional capacity. I have no damage of knurls in different materials using the paper bag and a collet system, especially in softer materials, but it has also worked well with my 3J and 4J. I tried brass stock at one point, it did not work as well for me. Brown paper bag shim also works well in a collet system where you trying to hold a piece (like your knob) which is between collet sizes, I use the larger with a single layer of brown paper bag, works like a charm.

On the collet system, if I need two layers, I cut 2 strips, just slightly shorter than the diameter of the piece, wrap them around the part like an onion peel, then insert into the collet. If wrapped as one piece in a spiral, it may not clamp symmetrically.

3. Of note if you decide to do more turning of small short stock. Use a collet style chuck to hold the piece, only applies to stock 1" and smaller. This is what I routinely use, it works well with one caveat. When you knurl, you displace the material and the diameter gets larger. If using a 5C collet system, if you started out with something like 3/4" stock, it will now be about 0.02" larger in diameter after knurling, and will no longer fit the 3/4" 5C collet. You need a full set of 1/64 increment 5C $$, I found this out the hard way, as I accumulate more over time.

4. If you only do this occasionally, and on short stock, consider an ER-40 system, you can buy or make a Hex (for 3J) or Square (for 4J) ER-40 block holder for about $30. Chuck it in in your 3J or 4J and use an ER-40 collet which has a much wider clamping range.

5. Last but not least, if you want to end up with a knurled rod that is 3/4", you need to under size the rod slightly before knurling. Also, sometimes the knurling can be a bit rough on the hands or too pointed, I either take a light cutting pass to take off tops of the points, and or lightly sand the tips, and put a small bevel one either edge of the knob.

Last edited:
Knurled 6061 is not going to like being held no matter what you do. It is too soft and any attempt to chuck/hold it will probably show some kind of attempt at it in the knurl. Maybe make a plastic split bushing to hold it? Best thing is to machine your steps so the last step is the knurl…Good Luck, Dave.

Back