Holding Knurled Stock In A Lathe

I have used a piece of cereal box wrapped around a knurled rod with good success. the cardboard will pack itself into the knurl and is thick enough to help protect it. The pvc pipe would also work as the points of the knurl will dig into the inside of the pipe.

That scrap of PVC pipe saved the day. I just got a set of ER32 collets and naturally, the first thing I wanted to use one for is just under an inch in diameter and knurled. (replacement knob for my drill vise). Cut a piece about 2" long, cut a 1/4" slit in the side and it worked perfectly. Also worked to protect the knurling when I screwed it onto the handle shaft - tight fit and took a pair of channel locks. Many thanks. I was so disgusted and the solution was so easy.

Another vote for PVC pipe with a slit in it to hold the knurls if it is close to size. If a different size is needed bore out a piece of nylon or similar to fit.

Another tip to try. Knurl from left to right if holding stock between the chuck and tailstock center. This way your live center will keep the stock from moving in the chuck while knurling. And I mentioned live center, too!

The PVC is a good idea. To avoid marring any material, the wrap has to be softer than the work. Brass is harder than 6061; lead would be a better choice. You may be able to get away with softening some aluminum sheet by heating. Plastic cut from a milk jug could also work as a wrap. I have used multiple wraps of masking tape in the past. The wrap has to be thicker than the features you're trying to protect. Otherwise clamping will just punch through and contact the hard jaws.

I use masking tape, about 3 turns and clamp in the three jaw, it packs into the voids in the knurl and holds fine.
I like the idea of pvc pipe and will do that next time.

Don't, why would one place a knurled surface in a part holding device afterwards, please explain.

because I'm a hobbiest not a pro and didnt think the job all the way through or I made a cockup and had to repair it

Don't, why would one place a knurled surface in a part holding device afterwards, please explain.

Depends on the project but sometimes it is not possible to do knurling last. For example there is something I make that has a knurled body right up to a tapered end. So with the taper there is nothing to chuck up to be able to knurl.

Back