Holding small parts on the horizontal band saw

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I figured out a way to hold small parts in my Jet band saw. I'm holding a piece of the same stock in the rear of the vise to keep it square and to facilitate a solid lock-up.
This method has served me well.
IMG_4893.jpg

Great idea!

Many people drill & tap the existing jaws to screw on jaw extenstions then tap another hole at the rear for a leveling screw.

I didn't want to drill & tap my jaws. I use a cheap screwless vise with my bandsaw.

20200328_191806.jpg
20200416_175634.jpg

On my old 4x6 bandsaw I tapped a new hole to relocate the fixed jaw (this also incresed capacity). The dynamic jaw had enough adjustment to be moved closer. With my current 7x12 bandsaw there already are holes to move the fixed jaw closer but the dynamic jaw has no slot for adjustment.

Before
Img_6867.jpg

After
Img_6868.jpg

Well done darkzero!
I hadn't thought of the machinists vise.
Look at how much closer your jaws are to the blade in it's original configuration. I think mine are about 3" away.
Of course, if you are just cutting lengths they work just fine. I rarely use the vertical option, I guess I could have put it up for this one off small cut in 303.

I believe that shot of Will's bandsaw is staged as it has actual metal shavings. :D

I keep chips in an extra large salt shaker for times like this. Adds great effect!

But that green one was clean cause I had just finished the pull out chip pan. Was the very first project on my mill. I was so happy. I miss that bandsaw, we had great times together & served me well. Was an Enco branded Rong Fu 128 that my buddy found for me off Recycler (does Recycler even exist anymore? Haha). Best $100 I ever spent!

Img_6806.jpg
Img_7884_zps96d73e92.jpg
Img_6803.jpg

(Sorry for the hijack Jeff :geek:)

Back