Hole Center Distance Finder (for lack of a better name)

It can be tricky at first but make sure it comes with the case, the case has the instructions on the inside top and that it has the practice gage. It looks like a flat bar with two holes with the center dimension stamped on it. Without all that stuff I never would have figured it out.

Some great ideas above. I never though about partial parting. Especially since I often part on the bandsaw.
I had no idea those center mics existed.
Nevertheless:

1564784181501.png

If my holes are non-threaded and clean I'm gonna bet I can get within .005". I will run some tests when finished. A lot will depend on those holes I already reamed and the tram of my little mill.
Robert

Last edited:
It can be tricky at first but make sure it comes with the case, the case has the instructions on the inside top and that it has the practice gage. It looks like a flat bar with two holes with the center dimension stamped on it. Without all that stuff I never would have figured it out.
Also, Mitutoyo made a center distance vernier, it had a sliding stationary jaw to allow for the angular error for different size holes, I had one, but sold it along with my shop; it worked with approximately a 1/2" hole maximum diameter. The guy who dreamed up the Center Mike was really thinking a good ways outside the box, maybe several boxes!

I thought how could I have missed the link to B&S as the "instructions" are very basic. It says made by Sorensen industries Bridgeport Conn. Same on the device but on back halfway covered by stainless piece you can just barely see the square B&S emblem, whoda thunk?

Also, Mitutoyo made a center distance vernier, it had a sliding stationary jaw to allow for the angular error for different size holes, I had one, but sold it along with my shop; it worked with approximately a 1/2" hole maximum diameter. The guy who dreamed up the Center Mike was really thinking a good ways outside the box, maybe several boxes!
Ben, ya done got my curiosity up! Did a web search for the Mitutoyos. Found one hit on a Mitu site, but few details. Also found some hits for Starrett caliper adapters. Amazon wants $122 for a set (must be made of platinum!):
McMaster sells similar sets for $30 or $38.

I officially asked for a Sorensen for Christmas!
R

After learning about the Sorensen from another thread on this site. I picked up an 8" one from Ebay for $74. I have not had a chance to use it on anything other than the the test piece that came with it, but it worked perfectly.

I guess if you're a pattern maker you'd use it more but I've used mine several times since I got it and I deeply wished I would have known about decades ago. Mine came with oil that was so old on it it was congealed. So it was not heavily used before either but it also was not abused. I also got an 8". I do wish I had the pins for probes so I could do smaller holes. Those don't seem to come up much on eBay.

Is the connecting rod marked with a measurement scale or do you simply measure the points after?

The plan is to measure to the outside of the centers using a caliper, then subtract 20mm (center diameters). A lot of the time I will probably set one center in center punch mark and then use the other center to scribe a line when I transfer holes. Then no measurement will be required.
Did some threading today:

1564966823397.png

Robert

Back