Hole Depth (drill Depth)

Tom, welcome to the forum. What steam engine are you building? For me, it depends on what the hole is for.

Ray,
Thank you for the welcome. I am building the PM Research steam engine #3
STEAM-ENGINE-3A.jpg
The drawings are great, but they just call out "Drill #38 3/4 depth" for example. Thus my question about generally accepted standards for hole depth on a drilled holed. My wife belongs to a band called the Minor Mishap Marching Band. Because of several small errors so for, I am naming my first project in their honor. I am also painting it the band colors (yellow and black).

I'll be dog goned. I built that engine last year. The 3BI. It is a pretty nice engine. These were before I finished it.

3BI Nr1.JPG PMR 3BI.JPG

Thank you all for your responses. The drawing I am working off of (a steam engine kit) does not specify shoulder or full depth (A or B), so I thought there might be a convention. It seems like maybe there isn't. I guess I will go to B, and if it is not deep enough go to A.

drill baby drill

I always interrupt it as A, unless otherwise specified.

I have a similar situation with counter bored holes, so I will use an end mill for the counter bore. I use end mills for drill or finishing a hole to size when I want a
flat bottom. You can also grind a flat bottom drill. I'm still trying to learn to do this. Anything else, I always calculate the entire drill to the point. i.e. blind holes
Of course, there is also the boring head. :)

Back